Preparing for the Ritual of the Masters

xbjbx

Jeff Ballard
I have circled the X in salt and will go down to the flea market and pick up a few chickens for sacrifice later this week as I prepare to perform the Ritual of the Masters .. for what, about the third time since I've owned the X?

Before, each of the major X parts players had one flavor master cylinder (that I could discern), now it looks like the guys are differentiating NOS, and new stock, with some differentiation claimed in the quality of manufacture of the new stock from a couple of sources.

Don't want to start a "he said, he said" thing here, but if you have personal experience with these MC sources, let me know maybe via email.

Other pots I want to stir after I do some fresh forum reading .. Tygon vs. cloth wrapped hosing .. I like the idea of the Tygon ... better clearance, maybe enabling (at least for the first installation) hooking up the hoses to the cylinders then threading the ends out to the reservoirs, avoiding that part of the under dash work ... but that stuff is pricey, and so is cloth wrapped stuff ... affordable sources, what size?

Then, dare I say it, the recurring thought process of going silicon based fluid? For cylinder pitting, corrosion, early cylinder failure issues more so than performance issues.

Getting lengthy ... all for now.

Jeff

Tygon.....

I've just ordered Tygon hose for this very purpose.

It should arrive in the next week or so, but with my trips in and out of Kandahar, I won't know until next summer for sure how it performs.

I intend to install the Tygon hose on my next trip home at the end of October. I may get to drive a few 100 kilometres, and should be able to give a progress report then.

Still lots of work to do before it's mobile again, but hopefully I'll get it done.

I'm not much help now, but stay posted......

Tygon

Where did you order the Tygon? 2275? What size?

Stay safe! I complain about going to work, and that is often just making the trip to the office in my house ....

Jeff

HAHAHA.... ya know...

Being old and all Jeff... it must've took me about 3 minutes to finally figure out where you were going with all his...

Now I can't stop laughing...

I'm sorry I can't offer any real advice here... 'cept you might wanna consider including your OWN age into the equation when selecting componants.

For instance... at 62, I am no longer interested in 35 year shingles for MY home... I figure a 20 year guarantee should be good enough.

Life Spans

Heck, I'd just like to have a hydraulics job last more than a couple of years.

Granted, the first time I did it there were mechanic issues involved ... but the last couple of times it was just premature failures that brought her down.

I am very aware of the passage of time ... As I've written on another forum, I think I have one more (at least) new car purchase in me once I get my current "good" car paid off,and hopefully I'll have a more modern sports car to enjoy for a bit while I'm nimble enough to get my old fat-ass in and out of it!

But, I'd be more than content to never have to do another X master cylinder job!

(And that said, I remembered I have a 77 project in the basement garage that needs the same operation ... sigghhhh. .... BUT, I have a 13 year-old whose car interests are maturing, so maybe HE can do the upside down underdash wrenching on that one!)

Jeff

Tygon source......

found it on eBay a couple of weeks ago.

Listing indicates 1/4" ID.....label on actual box shows 6.4mm as well.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=220518793191&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT

After exchanging a few e-mails with the seller, it was determined that there would be enough stretch for this size to fit a 7mm nipple.

As I indicated earlier, I won't be home when it arrives, so I won't know until the end of October how it actually fits.

In the event that the link above doesn't work, the item number is 220518793191.

Hope this is what you're looking for.....

There are many different formulations of Tygon----just double check to be sure the type you get is rated to handle fluids of the same general nature as brake fluid.

I think the only true "solution" to the master cylinder issue is to use those that have been re-sleeved in a non-corroding material. AFAIK none of our regular vendors offer these, but there have been posts talking about companies on the Coasts that do this service to either your old MC or a new MC that you send them.

Tygon formulations

There are many different formulations of Tygon----just double check to be sure the type you get is rated to handle fluids of the same general nature as brake fluid.

I've been using 2275 for better than a year, on two different X's, no problems at all. Rumor has it that 2075 is also good, but I haven't tried it.

I think the only true "solution" to the master cylinder issue is to use those that have been re-sleeved in a non-corroding material. AFAIK none of our regular vendors offer these, but there have been posts talking about companies on the Coasts that do this service to either your old MC or a new MC that you send them.

I researched this a bit as the M/C on my Midget was corroded beyond usage and NLA. I ended up putting a "close enough" one but remember these guys:
White Post
Apple some have had "bad" experience with them but many say they're good

Back