Problem number two both headlights come up.. one only goes down

No problem Tony.

You're still prettier, more charming & witty, and have a wide following of groupies in the X universe. Bob's most likely venting because his X is covered in snow and tomorrow you'll probably be cruising around in Black-Tooth with the top off.

Mike

Mike, that ain't fair!...

Just because Tony's OLDER than me, doesn't mean "age before beauty" applies?! Ha!

And for YOUR comment, I'd ship you 3+ feet of snow BUT I'm afraid you'd actually enjoy it out there.
(I was in SC last week and was using the AC in my rental, came home and it's 28 degrees F.) :p

You're correct...

.......but I would think that a bad diode would not allow the h/light motor to work at all, not just slower than the other one.

Diodes usually work -or not. Failure mode usually is a short circuit, but in X's the wires rot off the diode body.

Bob,

You need to let us know when you're coming out to SoCal. Check the events forum in a few minutes. Maybe you can schedule a business trip out here and stay for the weekend.

Mike

Checked the schedule...

Geez, a missed opportunity. :cry:
I'm headed out to Tollesen, AZ next week. I could have planned a visit, but it's too late for plan changes.
After that, I'm off to northern Michigan.

Believe it or not, I'm trying to get as much 'home time' as I can these days because of the time I spend on the road.

I'll make it there again for sure. But thanks for the invite Mike.

Bob may verify this theory

Hi
I was wondering that due to the very bad soldered/corroded joint that maybe the motor was not getting the full 12 volts and maybe was slower. I didnt measure volts to confirm but once i do the right side (which is now the slower one) I will see if they come up at the same speed. I agree with bob.. diodes conduct or they dont but perhaps supply voltages cause this
Nick

I'm not Bob

Hi
I was wondering that due to the very bad soldered/corroded joint that maybe the motor was not getting the full 12 volts and maybe was slower. I didnt measure volts to confirm but once i do the right side (which is now the slower one) I will see if they come up at the same speed. I agree with bob.. diodes conduct or they dont but perhaps supply voltages cause this

Not likely, The motor current does not go through the diodes, the diodes connect to the full-up/full-down switches inside the motors and the current through them is only used to turn on the relays for the motors.

Oh well there that theory shot down

Thanks for that. Not that one slightly tardy motor is an issue. I note on my 944 they have one motor and a rod that connects both but there is no room in the exe for that.
I am just glad i got the motor working
Nick
pa can anyone explain how they work? I can look at the diagram till the cows gro wings and fly to the moon. You mentioned switches

Back