Project accepted

autox19

True Classic
Well my friend Jeff told me you are not a car guy unless you have more than one project going at the same time. I now am a car guy. A project fell into my lap that I couldn't refuse. 1. It's a fiat, 2. It was a car my friend Amys dad had and was going to restore. Unfortunately he never got to it before he passed away. It will bring me great pleasure in completing this for him and his family. Knowing how my projects go, I hope I can finish it before the project becomes my children's legacy! Thanks to my friend Dale for helping retrieve this in the cold downpour yesterday!

Attachments

• 20180512_093034.jpg
    20180512_093034.jpg
    499.2 KB · Views: 205
  • 20180512_093004.jpg
    20180512_093004.jpg
    653.5 KB · Views: 210
Rain does make it shiny!. But didn't see any rust holes!. Far better than I expected. Not that this holds as gold, but did get to see a vhs of it being pulled in the garage and him talking about "now it's time for the restoration to begin". That and it being a friend of mine I am tending to believe it did run when parked. Replacing belts and such before I try to start it.

Odie

I can assure you that you have been a car guy from the start.

The 124 is an easy car to work on overall, a few fussy areas but all doable. You won’t enjoy putting the windshield back on as it is a multi person job but one I have done and would be happy to assist with.

Congrats on the new project. Hope to see the old project sometime along.

Looked a little more inside. Needs a new back seat back. Critters got into is and ate it up. Rear window is doa. Black and split. Saw vendors have new tips though. The battery is in the trunk? Really fiat? Can't you put one battery close to the engine?

Odie
20180512_173057.jpg

You need a 124 Sedan, not Spider, for the battery close to engine option. Real close. :)
DFEV_installed.JPG

Or an early Spider or Coupe, they had it alongside the engine. It’s better far away from the heat and other unpleasantness of the engine compartment. The electrons really don’t mind the travel very much, they are pretty quick after all.

A new dash pad can be sourced, AutoRicambi and Allison Automotive both carry variations on the theme along with the one that runs from the shifter back.

124s are fun cars, very different from an X, more relaxed to drive but lots of wind with the top down.

My thoughts on the placement of the battery has more to do with being in the same enclosed space as the fuel tank!
I am seeing that parts are a little more available than parts for the x. The better part, my wife has noticed it as well. She already searched for the rear seat! She has not been one who has showed interest in my fiat obsession. So this is a great sign. And yes this will be her summer car

Odie

A nice alternative to the back seat is to replace it with a shelf that can have some compartments under it or allow for some speakers.

You being the rather handy sort can build your own, I have a template you are welcome to if you want it for the bottom area. If you don’t wan to create your own you can buy an assembly from Mark Allison at Allison Automotive, AutoRicambi may also sell the part but I don’t recall for sure.

I know you like pics. And seeing I am waiting for my friend to get here so we can tow the x back, I decided to clean out the spider a little to see more of how it is.

Odie

Attachments

• 20180517_192018.jpg
    20180517_192018.jpg
    375.6 KB · Views: 187
  • 20180517_191819.jpg
    20180517_191819.jpg
    284.5 KB · Views: 170
  • 20180517_191809.jpg
    20180517_191809.jpg
    374.9 KB · Views: 167
  • 20180517_191634.jpg
    20180517_191634.jpg
    308.8 KB · Views: 178
  • 20180517_191631.jpg
    20180517_191631.jpg
    231.6 KB · Views: 176
that is next on the list. I just wanted to clear all the junk out. I was about to order a replacement timing belt so I could get ready to try to crank the engine over but the X issues took that budget. oh well I put some Marvel Mystery oil in each cylinder just in case something isnt loosened up. it was something my mechanic friend suggested. the Scrubbing of the interior shall commence soon. The back package panel is in interesting option. But the wife actually thinks the rear seat is "cute". So I will probably be redoing the seats. She actually has been googling prices for them. she has NEVER googled anything automotive before. I think she is sold on the spider.

Odie

that is next on the list. I just wanted to clear all the junk out. I was about to order a replacement timing belt so I could get ready to try to crank the engine over but the X issues took that budget. oh well I put some Marvel Mystery oil in each cylinder just in case something isnt loosened up. it was something my mechanic friend suggested. the Scrubbing of the interior shall commence soon. The back package panel is in interesting option. But the wife actually thinks the rear seat is "cute". So I will probably be redoing the seats. She actually has been googling prices for them. she has NEVER googled anything automotive before. I think she is sold on the spider.

Odie

Your wive should meet my wife at some point. Perhaps she would be less...disappointed (being the best word)...when I bring up the 71 Spider after I build the garage.

Your wive should meet my wife at some point. Perhaps she would be less...disappointed (being the best word)...when I bring up the 71 Spider after I build the garage.
Lol. Most definitely. She grew up in troy so we head down that way often. Hop skip and a jump from there.
Or you could do what I did when ever I bought more DJ stuff. Told.her I was storing it for a friend who's wife wasnt as understanding as she.

Odie

Back