Project cars and insurance

Remind me not to park near your cars. But then no one is gonna want to park in front of my house!

Actually it's mostly a function of where I am currently living. Until the last couple of years I lived in SoCal and never had nearly as much of a problem with parking lot damage. But in the time I've been temporarily living in Vegas its been a major issue. People here seem to be complete idiots, at least in my part of town.

Funny as how you get older the number of idiots around you seems to grow...and way too many of them appear to have a driver's license.

Great to hear things panned out about as well as they could have. I have USAA insurance on our house and my wife's daily and Hagerty for my garage-kept toys. Haven't had to actually use either yet, but the policies are affordable and easy to maintain.

I would love to see maybe a posting, or something.

with before/after pictures and what the settlement was

Every X owner should have stuff like this documented so if our car's get hit. this is a good (to excellent) bit of information to keep stored away!!

Not sure what you want, I already posted pics of the cars and I think I posted what the insurance company gave me but I can do it again in a single post if that's what you guys want.

Yes please. having it in one post that ties it all together might be the most useful.

Thank you!

and very glad you got a settlement that is fair.!!

The Bertone was a stripped street hooligan. The 77X was a really nice car. Going into mechanical restoration costs was not an issue, the insurance adjustor did not even ask me to start the cars or ask me what shape the drivetrains were in. She did not ask what did or didn't work before the accident so it was really a walk around analysis. She noted the Bertone had "custom seats" but did not comment on the total lack of interior.

I got $5,306 for the 86 Bertone and $6,486 for the 77X.

As discussed, insurance companies may not be used to dealing that much with old cars and I never invoked any classic car consideration. The price included my buy back based on salvage value which I think she said was $200 each. The settlement offer was probably a "here, go away and leave us alone" amount. I have no idea what the criteria was for the values and never discussed it with her, I was more than happy to take the offer.

IMG_0722[1].JPG
IMG_0729[1].JPG
IMG_0787[2].JPG
IMG_0783[2].JPG
IMG_0750[2].JPG

Hope this helps.

Nice! You got some good money for the car (I hope it was more than what you had hoped for), but sorry for the damage :(

I have my X1/9 insured with Hagerty here in Canada (by Lant Insurance Brokers). I have it insured for a value of $12,500 CAD, and I also bought a product they sell called "cherished endorsement". If my car gets written off, they let me keep the car (I think that was about $30/year extra).

I love Hagerty!

It sounds like the insurance company treated you very fairly. Given that you were considering selling the '77 I would think that you agree.

Back