Proper paint for engine cover

ga.spyder

Daily Driver
Hey guys,I would like to remove my engine cover(81 model),and repaint it.It is now a very flat black.I have seen others with a black cover that are glossy.Did they come both ways?The car is orange,and the glossy would probably look better.Painting body color is really not a option,too much orange!!:eek: Thanks,Craig

I see more flat black then glossy, my 86 is flat. Which makes me believe flat black is the proper color. Its more of a black metal fence flat black then a primer though.

I would go with a satin black

I believe that is what is on my 86. Not glossy, but definitely not flat.

IMG_0569_s.jpg

as Jim says, use satin. Ive used satin black BBQ spray paint for all of my X1/9 engine covers. It holds up well and has the correct OEM look

Thanks for all the replies.Satin black it will be!:clap: Should look good on the orange car,I will post a pic when complete.
Craig

Craig... If you use DUPLICOLOR TRIM BLACK...

... and start spraying your cover... it will match sooooo close that you will NOT be able to tell where you stopped or started.

Dries in minutes, costs 5 or 6 bucks, available at Pep Boys, Kragen and AutoZone... but only lasts about 10 friggin' years and then you'll haveta do it again.

I had the cover on my '74 powdercoated along the bumpers and other trim pieces. Any powdercoater should have samples in their showroom of available colors. I chose a semi-gloss black that was very close to original. If you do a lot of parts at once the per part cost really goes down. Rattle can will always be cheaper, but the durability of powdercoating is nice.

I found some Dupli-Color engine enamel in semi gloss black.It is heat resistant to 500 deg.I have done the back valance and grille,as well as the front grill.The results are really good.I will post some pix as soon as I finish the engine cover.

Back