Pulling an X, not TOWING...

I enjoy showing TimeX in parades, but can't handle the slow ride and overheating. What does it take to have the X PULLED by my 4Runner? What is a safe setup?

Vinnie

Normal issues are OK...

Normal driving the temps are fine. Crawling along in a parade will overheat GUARANTEED. I wanna be pulled. Rope? Chain? Slinky?

Is your fan coming on, up front?

UBX overheated when I let her sit and idle, just after bringing her home. I figured out the fan didn't come on. Ran very cool while driving. I put in a second fan next to the first and wired them into my rear defog switch on the dash. If I am sitting in traffic and the temp starts to creep up, I hit the switch, both fans start up, and the temp drops real fast. It only took about an hour to wire up.

No problem with overheating. Question is how to PULL an X

My overheating issues are solved. The car just cannot take crawling along * 3 MPH for a long time. How do I do a safe hookup to a 4Runnr so I can look good in a poarade with NO overheating issues AT ALL?

Vinnie

Gotta Think About The Movies

It's been a long time since I've seen any of the B2TF movies, but....

I seem to remember a scene in the one that had a Wild West theme where they tried to pull the DeLorean with a team of horses to get it up to 88MPH.

Later in the movie, of course they used a steam locomotive to push it.

Maybe the way to go, to keep in synch witht he movie, is to either pull the car with a team of horses (simulated of course), or push the car with a steam locomotive (simulated of course). If you're gonna use your SUV, somehow if you could make it look like a steam locomotive, that would let you push the car AND maintain the theme of the movie.

First, how do you get your Toyota to look like a steam loco? Do they have a vehicle wrap for that?

If you can solve that, then anyone with some passable welding skills could make up a detachable towbar/pushbar out of common steel square tubing stock to connect the cars. It would not have to be too strong or sophisticated since you're pushing and only at walking speeds.

Or, you could combine a Tony Natoli signature-model:devil: Harbor Freight towbar and a trailer hitch on the X. Of course instead of the X pulling the SUV, the SUV will be pushing the X.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=94696

I know at one time UHaul had trailer hitches to fit the X because I had them install one on my first X in 1982.

And once the cars are connected, you can further take advantage of that by using the Toyota to provide the electrical power you need for your special effects, that way you don't even have to run the X at all, avoiding the wear-and-tear issues.

Last edited:
Thanks Dan... and Vinnie...

Living in LA and CRAWLING on these freeways... my X has been in a parade for all of its life!

Literally for hours sometimes...

Something is definately WRONG and can be corrected. I'm not pointing any fingers at you... 'cause I've been there on many different fronts. You mentioned the radiator top was WET once and now that has been fixed. Has the entire system been pressure tested? I would think if it had back then, the radiator would have been caught earlier.

You may have a slight pinhole leak in the tubing, evaporating under pressure with no apparent problem except that it overheats!

Are you running dual fans with an override switch too?

Hey... just trying to help... I would HATE to see that Time Machine being pushed or pulled!

Tony where is your post on the tow thing you built?

I would pull the X, gas generator powers all the effects and lights anyway. From a reasonable distance, the parade is at night. Looks like I am on my own power anyway.

You da Man!

Harbor Freight store is one town away from me. GREAT place to shop.

It's like a Man's place to browse for hours

Thanks Dan

How is your X coming along? we need to get together. we are not far from each other.

Vinnie...

Here is what you asked for... but I don't think its what you want for the parade.

This one was specifically made for a late model bumper system and the drawing is to scale on an 8 1/2 x 11 piece of paper (except for the crossbar...) All will fit in the rear trunk also, including the towbar and lights (Harbor Freight) with a total cost of about 75 - 100 dollars for parts and materials.

thumb_bar1.jpg

thumb_bar4.jpg

towbaradapt.jpg

I would agree... but I didn't wanna...

... ignore your request.

I still hate the thought of it though... Wish I could get my hands on that car and really see what's going on. To bad it wasn' some kinda electronic/computer issue that Bob coulda solved for ya!

Back