Pulling rear control arm bushing with Rupunzell's tool

Bobr

My Toy
It works well. Did not bend the control arm. A 70degree day in Minnesota........

Putting the puller on...

Puller on

the process...

Keep tighting.....almost out

Bushing is out!!!!!

Taking the puller apart.....

Works great. You will need to use alot of PB for rusted bushing. It works best if the bushing is complete with the rubber and inner sleeve intact....Thanks Rupunzell..Got 2 more to pull this weekend and will send it back.....

Nice photos Bob!

Thanks for the pictorial. Looks like it works well.

And it appears to keep your shoes really clean as well. They look brand new, ;)

haha

you guys crack me up :laugh:

at this point I'm figuring semiretired will do, and I'll spend my time actually working on my X, at some point, hopefully... :whistle: :D

As for the topic at hand, nice tool, nice pics, good thread :)

Lets stick to the topic..Its a loaner to all

Rupunzell will loan it to any who needs.....Tankx to the tired Mac:)

Nice Group of Images

Good to hear the bushing tool worked. You're the first to use it fresh off the lathe. Curious, any idea how much force was applied on the end of that floor jack handle? I figured about 6,000 to 12,000 pounds of force required to remove/install these bushings. This would give me some idea of the forces applied for this set of A arm bushings.

The tool will install these bushings too. Simply reversing the order of your images. This is a removal and installion tool.

This tool came about after a thread was posted here about removing these bushings without a press, since I made most of the bits for use in a press, it was easy to convert them to be use without a press resulting in the tool in these images.

Yes, anyone who needs to use this tool is welcome as long as they pay postage both ways. For those who are more ambitious, I can make up a sketch of the tool and they can make it themselves if they have machinist skills, lathe and proper materials. I'll evaluate the tool once it's back and will likely improve the design over time.

now that would only work IF the bolt isnt seized in there to the point that you had to cut it out

Force

Got up to what I could put on a 1/2" drive and with the jack handle and then a foot and breaker switched to a deeper drive...was easy... just pushed out....maybe 50 lbs.....Thanks so much...will be finished this weekend and send it back to you Monday...:)

Bob... by the size of that helper-bar...

It appears ouside of a hydraulic press, that all of it was needed. Does the tool install the new bushings also?

Got the new bushing pressed in.....

The press worked just as well to put them in. Took about 5 min a bushing. The only thing is the All Thread needs to be 1/2" longer......Other than that it works wonderful. Keeps the bushing straight and pushes it in smoothly. Much better that my Idea of getting a bench press. Thanks so MUCH! Will clean it up and have it in the mail Monday......:guitar:

Hello Bob,

Good to hear all went well with the bushing tool. Once it's back, I'll do an evaluation of this tool and figure out what need or can be improved. Then it's ready for another go.
:hammer:

The press worked just as well to put them in. Took about 5 min a bushing. The only thing is the All Thread needs to be 1/2" longer......Other than that it works wonderful. Keeps the bushing straight and pushes it in smoothly. Much better that my Idea of getting a bench press. Thanks so MUCH! Will clean it up and have it in the mail Monday......:guitar:

Back