Queensland (Aust) flooding!

ianlawson

ian - NZ
Wow, I've just been reading the news on i/net about the latest lot of flooding to hit the Brisbane (Q'land) region!
Toowoomba has just been hit by a wall of flood water, suddenly flooding houses, cars, etc! :eek:

Hope our ol' mate Brian (bmck) hasn't been affected by this!!

cheers, Ian - NZ

!

And in other news - the Midwest is getting hit by a snow storm. I'm going home early here in a few minutes so I can take the X out in the snow!!!!! (before the salt trucks ruin everything). Maybe I'll take some pictures.

Here is Ross' post from NFC...

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vt-FT-skins"]YouTube - Toowoomba floods 2011[/ame]

WOW!

Lawso,

Thanks for your concern.

No real worries here - compared to the tragedy unfolding in Toowoomba.

The South Pine River is on our back boundary. Usually, four steps would get you from bank to bank. It's probably about 20m across at the moment. Still about 3m below the 100-year flood level (which is our corner property post). Our house is about 2m above that, so there should be no dramas.

The main road into our valley was cut for a short time yesterday due to land slips, but that happens with less serious rain events.

Son number 3 had an interesting time picking his way home through flooded roads from a holiday at Woodgate two days ago, but made it safely.

Regards,

Brian

Last edited:
We are praying for you

Please keep us posted.
If it is of any help, we are more then willing to take some of that waters off your hands. We are having the seventh's drought year in a row. Pretty soon we'll need to bathe in air...

Take care of yourselves down there

It's almost laughable, two years ago they were predicting that we'd "never have rain again". And now most of the East coast of Australia is praying for the rain to let up before we have more flooding then there already is.

The Brisbane river is set to receive a king tide today and flood a whole lot of the land surrounding it!

UPDATE: current predictions are for high levels of damage to 9000 properties around the Brisbane river with 30000 properties to receive some sort of damage. Over 10 people dead, 60 more reported missing from across the state.

Last edited:
I am sad looking worst thinks like that and I cant helping people ...
that is nature but I not believed ."Humans" put fingers in .

Andrew Coles

Yea its terrible to think that something like this is happening in Australia. Sunrise this morning reckon that the 9000 affected homes in the Brisbane area has been revised to 19,700:sad:

I remember flying into Brisbane nearly 3 years ago (one of my brothers lives there - and he owned a X1/9) and they announced on the flight that SE Queensland was in drought and to conserve water whenever possible.
The irony is that on my side of the country, we're desperate for some good rain.

brissy going under

hi guys, thanks for your concern and kind words.
latest news tonight is that the flooding wont be as bad as the 74 floods,
they have revised the flood peak down by over half a meter, but it sure is devastating.
i have spent the last two days helping friends to evacuate their homes and workplaces and have seen the devastation first hand.
it will take a very long time to get things back to normal and the infrustructure back working properly.
the ' mateship' amongst total strangers to help out has been quite humbling and proves yet again that the aussie spirit is alive and well.
peak tide is due at about 4am thurs(oz time) so we just have to wait and see how much worse it will be.
i personally am not in any threat from the water, but will be heading over to help out at peak time to offer help and support, to my friends and their families who are still affected.
it is nice to belong to this "family" of fans of a silly little car,who show so much care and support to people they have never met

cheers pete

speaking from the heart

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qEQW9CvF5bw"]YouTube - Queensland Premier Anna Bligh breaks down at flood press conference Australia[/ame]

I used to work at Wivenhoe Dam and have, in the past, chatted to the engineers about its limits. At about 210 - 215 they have no choice . . . they have to open the gates to full noise.

Colin,

Wivenhoe interests me. Tell be about that fuse plug in the secondary slipway.

How (and when) does it operate? What are the three bays for?

You get a good look at it on Google Earth.

Regards,

Brian

...and now Victoria is copping it!!

......worst flooding in 100 years in western Victoria, around Horsham!!

Not a good summer this year for our Ozzie neighbours!

Hope no Vic X-heads are involved in this disaster!

cheers, Ian - NZ

Back