questions

I notice that my X19 makes weird noises when going over bumps in the road,as if the body and chassis were not attached ? It's been doing this for a long time,but I always thought it was maybe exhaust system since it is on springs,but I'm thinking it might be the strut mounts ?? Do they need lube and if so,where ? Also,the other day,my clutch pedal hit the floor and did not come back up. I had to lift it up with my foot,and it has been ok ever since,but I'm wondering if it needs a bleeding of the system ? Is this hard to do or is there something else that might be wrong ?

The noises could be many things, in particular if the strut top mounts are worn out the top strut bolt retainer cup can strike the edge of the strut mount hole (the body of the car). Also, the struts themselves could be shot, allowing the spring to compress too quickly or too far, the bump stop could be damaged or missing, etc.

I hate to say it, but either your clutch m/c or slave are on the way out, look for wetness around either to try to help narrow your search.

Noise

I had a knocking noise on my '74 for at least 10 years. Thought it was shocks. Then radio mount. Ended up just ignoring it. Last fall I finally jacked up front end and found the passenger tie-rod was loose as it enters steering box. There is a bushing that keeps rod centered in opening. That bushing wore out/disintagrated leaving the smaller dia. rod to move in the larger opening of the steering rack housing. There was no real danger, as everything was tight, but under certain types of road bumps, you would hear the knock noise. Jack up front end and move (not rotate) wheels, push/pull on arms, etc. and see if you feel or hear anything loose. If it is a bushing, you can either get a new plastic Fiat one or a metal one from MidwestX1/9. (I chose to get a whole new rack from International and at the same time new tie-rods, wheel bearings, shocks, etc.)

I have the same thing on the rear strut mounts. I always suspected the previous owner forgot to install some part like a shim or washer when he exchenged the shocks. I haven't really taken a good look at it though. If I weigh the rear end of the car down with my body it makes knocking noises.

A very common source of rattles over bumps are...

...lack of anti-rattle springs under the brake pads.

Seems silly and minor, but the car will sound like its falling apart if the pads are allowed to bounce around inside of the caliper hanger brackets. They can really make quite a racket and are sensitive to the smallest of bumps.

-Matt

Back