Quick and dirty 1500 carb performance tips.

Rooster

piccole ma cattive
Hey folk, since my "budget" 1500 engine project is temporarily stalled...

I need a few quick pointers on how to boost up the ponies on a stock 1500 carb'd. Such as timing advance, dizzy welding, hotter plugs, ect..

Any insite would be greatly appreciated as my first autoX is Sunday!

quick fix

The quickest, easiest, 1500 carb upgrade is to drop on a 1300 carb (32/32 DMTR). You will need the 1300 carb spacer and hog out the opening under the carb mounting flange.

This gets you significantly larger throats and a manual secondary.

Ignition is pretty simple. Just set the max advance at 36 degrees and ignore the base advance.

shadetree mechanic stuff

Here are some Shadetree/Redneck adjustments that I'm sure will have some of the more technical people here upset and yelling at me very quickly. Of course there are better ways to do these things, but they all require more equipment/tools and $$$. Think "High school student on a bus boy salary" performance mods! LOL

1) Cut off the sides of the air cleaner box so there is only the bottom and a lid. Either leave the crankcase breather part attached to the side of the air cleaner box or buy one of the round ones from any parts store. You'll also need to plug the exhaust/emissions breather. (new air and fuel filter and spark plugs goes without saying, but I just said it, didn't' I...anyway)

2) If you can get your hands on a 1300 carb w/ the mechanical opening 2 barrel and ditch the vacuum controlled 1500 carb (well, save it on a shelf somewhere. Don't actually throw it away. lol)

3) Emission stuff can go "bye-bye" and make sure you have no vacuum leaks anywhere.

4) Smaller tires on the rear will give you more torque by lowering your gear ratio (175/50-13 on front and 185/60-13 rear for street then swap for the autocross. Swap back to drive home)

5) Disassemble the Dizzy and remove one spring on the flyweights. This will increase your timing advance curve and make full advance come on quicker (full advance about 3-3500 rpm)

6) Idle mixture screw. Adjust it until you find where it idles the fastest. Not too rich, not too lean

7) Shadetree timing is to adjust it on the move! Remove the cover in the spare tire well and loosen the nut enough so the dizzy can be moved but not so loose that it moves on its own. Then go for a drive and adjust the timing from the driver's seat under acceleration! Usually it's a "listen for ping and back it off a little" kinda thing. It will most likely idle fast after this adjustment.

Hope this helps

Back