Quick tip - inner race from bearing stuck on spindle removal

fastx19

Administrator
Just a quick note. I had an issue on my Mustang, but this applies to our cars as well. Front wheel bearing died and when I took it apart, the inner race of the bearing was seized on the spindle.

I did the normal research on the interwebs and saw videos of people using a grinder to grind a slot in it, and other tricks. However, what I ended up doing was getting a propane torch (Mapp gas would have been better) and heated up the race for about 4 minutes going around and around so it was even. Then using an adjusting wrench, was able to slide it off like butter.

Never doubt the power of heat! or Hydraulics... or small kitten claws.

Just a quick note. I had an issue on my Mustang, but this applies to our cars as well. Front wheel bearing died and when I took it apart, the inner race of the bearing was seized on the spindle.

I did the normal research on the interwebs and saw videos of people using a grinder to grind a slot in it, and other tricks. However, what I ended up doing was getting a propane torch (Mapp gas would have been better) and heated up the race for about 4 minutes going around and around so it was even. Then using an adjusting wrench, was able to slide it off like butter.

Never doubt the power of heat! or Hydraulics... or small kitten claws.
Great tip. It is all too easy to damage the machined surface of something you value, in this case the spindle. Smart.

Back