Rabbit Bilstein Sport inserts for front of 128 wagon

karhawk

True Classic
IMG_2768.JPG

I'll start with some old X rear strut tubes to get a sportier suspension for my 128 wagon.

Last edited:
IMG_2769.JPG

I'll use one of these top nuts to secure insert

I used the lower nut in the photo, which is original to way-assuto and riv stock style struts.

Last edited:
I am curious to see how it will work for you.

I did this same conversion on my x, and the struts rebound are overwhelmed by the springs. Bit of a bounce when pushed, or over items, such as railroad tracks.

I was going to try an adjustable instead, like tokico to see if it might be better.

While it had lukewarm results on the X, I will be curious to hear how it works on the 128. It might be really good!

Few options and I don't like the GR-2's that are on the car now. Are you using stock rear X springs?

Last edited:
The Faza springs probably causing your bounce. I will be trying to control stock rear X springs

IMG_2781.JPG

IMG_2783.JPG

I used rattle can epoxi appliance paint it's durable and good for under car suspension parts etc.

Inserts will be unboxed tomorrow!

The part numbers from these tubes:

The RIV manufacturer 8123010641
Fiat part #4290389

These are two different Fiat part numbers that will work with inserts.

Fiat part # 4425932 for Way assuto rear struts.

Fiat part # 4290389 for RIV rear struts

Last edited:
What are you using for inserts?

I couldn't fit any sport valved insert into a standard X housing. Bilsteins, Konis, Tokicos, are all too large of a diameter to fit.

Superseded Bilstein Sport Series Front (P30-0032-M1)
new number 34-184530

Last edited:
Have you test fit them?

What I found is that they clear the very top of the strut, but the housing narrows about an inch down and they're too wide. Maybe Bilstein has redesigned their inserts and they now fit. If so, great job!

Bilstein sport evaluation

With stock springs and the front shock tube mount to the steering knuckle raised 15/16 of an inch plus a front sway bar, I have been very happy with the installation.

I use the car for street, track days and autocross. It is supple on bumps on the street, and has no rebound issues. It has less sway on the track, and good balance. I have -1.5 degrees camber all around, and run 0 toe front and rear. If I get serious about competition I will need to go to coil overs and adjustable shocks.

Here is the sway on the track with street tires:

Paul Davock

I going at this with the idea I will get a little better performance with the stock X springs and I will do all the metal work with hand tools. I think the stock X spring in the front of a sedan or wagon will lower about 2".

IMG_2787.JPG

IMG_2797.JPG

The second photo shows the collar with a dust seal, once the insert is screwed down this slides down over the top of the strut tube and held in place with three set screws.

Here is one mostly done, I still need to add the set screws to the seal holder. I added a washer at the bottom of the tube to prop up the insert about 2 mm.

IMG_2798.JPG

IMG_2803.JPG

Nice shot Paul
eu8c6mj

Now just squint and imagine your red X is my yellow wagon coming at you...

Last edited:
Thanks now if I could only read a strut dyno sheet, I put Bilstein inserts on an old turbo volvo and turned up the boost, weeeeeee!!!

Last edited:
Back