Rack and pinion steering for the 850

ramona300

True Classic
On Facebook a few days ago there was an article on converting the 850 to rack and pinion steering using the rack from the new Fiat 500. 2.5 turns lock to lock. Looks to be fairly simple. Any discussion?
Fiat 500 rack. a jpg.jpg

Front radiator, camber compensator, lower A-arms, just a few mods..... I'm not clear on the upper suspension as I'm thinking maybe a coilover or modified McPherson strut? Lot's of midnight oil there. Nice to see people still working on 850's.

On Facebook a few days ago there was an article on converting the 850 to rack and pinion steering using the rack from the new Fiat 500. 2.5 turns lock to lock. Looks to be fairly simple. Any discussion?View attachment 81850
I have investigated the old 500126/133 approach.

On my list.

I have also wondered about the Simca 1000 front suspension which uses ball joints and gets rid of the whole kingpin arrangement and its knuckle. This also had a rack solution as well and still used a leaf spring which I actually prefer given the front structure of the 850.s

This image shows a hybrid Simca front end in a 133

IMG_3069.jpeg

The 500 unit hasn’t been on my radar as a solution. Do you have a link to the conversation?
Thanks!

Last edited:
I have investigated the old 500126/133 approach.

On my list.

I have also wondered about the Simca 1000 front suspension which uses ball joints and gets rid of the whole kingpin arrangement and its knuckle. This also had a rack solution as well and still used a leaf spring which I actually prefer given the front structure of the 850.s

This image shows a hybrid Simca front end in a 133

View attachment 81853

The 500 unit hasn’t been on my radar as a solution. Do you have a link to the conversation?
Thanks!
``I don't have a link but I did save another photo of the kit. The lower wishbones are similar to my front with the coil overs and I realised I could fairly easily weld up the additional frame work in aluminium and bolt it to my set-up. I was surprised by how many Fiat 500 steering racks on eBay and how cheap. I'm sticking with the kingpins after spending a fortune getting them set up and I also welded the lower mounts for the shocks to the kingpin cast iron.

Fiat 500 rack.jpg

I’d be curious as to where the coil overs mount. My stock suspension (other than Konis) car already has stress cracks in the upper inner fender area.
The solution for stress cracking in the 600 Fiat was to cut a piece of 16 gauge sheet metal and weld it to the body/fender. My less than artistic sketch shows the general idea.

Attachments

• IMG_5115[1].JPG
    IMG_5115[1].JPG
    129.6 KB · Views: 39
Back