Rad new Fiat twin cylinder - the Twin-Air

Whoa... I have Twin-air and Multi-air...

... all confused!

I thought they were one and the same but noooooo...

Great stuff though... 85 ponies from that little guy!

COOL!

I "wanted to want" a Smart car. But the fuel economy wasn't that good for such a tiny car. The Fiat actually delivers REAL economy. I think it's the engine of the future, BUT, just like the X1/9, may be ahead of it's time for America.

We're all driving fake 4x4 "SUV"s that weigh 3500 pounds and get 20 mpg. Glorified mini-vans. The Fiat won't take off until gas hits $5 a gallon again.

69 MPG. Suck-it Japan

Yep, we heard a lot about twin-air from the Fiat guys at FFO, although they openly admitted that the 1.4 Multi-Air will be the only platform available in the 500 here in the US, initially.

The Fiat folks at FFO were constantly asking us "Why do you like Fiat?" "What draws you to it?".

I repeatedly said "Technological innovation", and ran through the long list of standard-issue items on our cars that took the other makers years to adopt.

If anyone else here has the opportunity to spread the good word about Fiat's return, I would say that is likely one of the strongest selling points, in my opinion. Also adding that over 1M cars have already been produced, so a lot of the bugs have been worked out before they hit our shores, doesn't hurt either.

-M

Thanks Bjorn for the conversion...

... it still gets me in the COMMUTER LANES! at 57.whatever!

HA!

Great stuff... but I'm sure we'll never see it in CA!

Actually folks .....

That's a combined figure for urban, semi-urban and highway consumptions, so the original figure is closer to what you'd get if your run was along a long stretch of six lane.
If the guys at Fiat powertrain developments continue to create motors like this one, then we can expect that California will adopt as new regs proposed by the EU are much stricter on emissions than even Arnie-land has envisaged.

+1

FIAT is doing what the know how to do best. Offering very good value -vs- cost. They are in the worlds most competitive car market and they must deliver a product that has something more than their competitors.

Regardless of FIAT's technological offering and value, they still must deal with the "Fix It Again Tony" reputation that persist to this day in the US car market.

It will be interesting to see how the US automotive media treats FIAT's return to the US car market...

Bernice

Yep, we heard a lot about twin-air from the Fiat guys at FFO, although they openly admitted that the 1.4 Multi-Air will be the only platform available in the 500 here in the US, initially.

The Fiat folks at FFO were constantly asking us "Why do you like Fiat?" "What draws you to it?".

I repeatedly said "Technological innovation", and ran through the long list of standard-issue items on our cars that took the other makers years to adopt.

If anyone else here has the opportunity to spread the good word about Fiat's return, I would say that is likely one of the strongest selling points, in my opinion. Also adding that over 1M cars have already been produced, so a lot of the bugs have been worked out before they hit our shores, doesn't hurt either.

-M

One of the most significant things Fiat could do to gain a good reputation and address the old "fix-it-again-tony" stories is to pay attention to the quality of the dealer network (and from what I've read they're trying to do just that).

I'm old enough to remember when Fiats were still in the US the first time and the quality of the dealer network was miserable. Fiat was either a 3rd brand being carried at a 1st tier seller or they were being sold at 2nd tier "specialty" shops. In both cases quality of service was variable (or just plain bad) and in the case of the specialty dealers there was much of the here today, gone tomorrow scenarios.

The people I knew that were buying new Fiats in the '70s would endlessly complain about dealer service... That probably had the biggest impact on the company reputation.

Why Twin-Air?

Has anybody found a diagram of this engines layout? Is it flat? do the pistons share a common crank journal? Is it air cooled?

I can't find any details.

BrianM

Tony's fix

Easy, do what Mini did. All inclusive 40K - 4 year service and grantee. I ran to the Mini dealership. And will run to Fiat as well.

BrianM

One of the most significant things Fiat could do to gain a good reputation and address the old "fix-it-again-tony" stories is to pay attention to the quality of the dealer network (and from what I've read they're trying to do just that).

I'm old enough to remember when Fiats were still in the US the first time and the quality of the dealer network was miserable. Fiat was either a 3rd brand being carried at a 1st tier seller or they were being sold at 2nd tier "specialty" shops. In both cases quality of service was variable (or just plain bad) and in the case of the specialty dealers there was much of the here today, gone tomorrow scenarios.

The people I knew that were buying new Fiats in the '70s would endlessly complain about dealer service... That probably had the biggest impact on the company reputation.

Easy, do what Mini did. All inclusive 40K - 4 year service and grantee.

Will take more than words on paper... the dealerships (and Fiat) will have to deliver. With the USA now having a steady diet of Toyotas and Hondas for the last 3 decades, the vast car buying public has no tolerance for cranky cars and unresponsive dealerships.

Fiat dealers of old had problems such as insufficient spare parts inventories (I remember owners waiting weeks for their cars), they didn't follow factory specified pre-delivery checks (resulting in immediate failures) and the quality of service was generally regarded as poor (causing many return visits to make things right).

If Fiat repeats that experience, they'll be dead before they start.

Update on Twin-Air plans - no Chrysler linkage ...

Looks like Fiat Group SpA is keeping its family jewels closed tight in its mitt ...... :sad:

http://www.autocar.co.uk/News/NewsArticle/AllCars/251469/

Here's an interesting point though - what sized car, would you say, is the largest you would accept with a 900cc engine, if performance wasn't affected and driveability was comparable?

I think most folks would say 'Who cares?'

In which case Fiat has it wrong methinks .......

Pottsy... When they say the "Chrysler marks"...

... Do they mean the Fiat 500's destined for or produced in the US, or do they mean other Chrysler products? I'm hoping the latter... but I think I know better.

The way I read it is ...

That Fiat USA will use the technology as well as other Fiat distributing countries, but that they are not planning to give the idea to any other company, including their stablemates - unlike the Multi-Air that they license thru Alfa etc.

Well... If so, then ya mean we here in the States...

... will indeed get a Multi Air and a Twin Air option...

One to commute with and one to play?

Looks like it's on for you guys

Welcome to the world of high efficiency, small capacity, clean engine technology.
:hug:

Back