Radiator Question

bill

my cockatoo likes you
Hey guy's has anyone tried to use 4 wheeler radiators in a x? If you had 4 of them linked in series in a carbon fiber holder of some kind it would insulate them from each other. Heat would not transfer from metal just coolant. Not to sure about the price of them but they are not very big. Might be able to find them cheap.

http://www.motopartsmax.com/index.php?
main_page=advanced_search_result&search_in_description=1&zenid=1a8da358031f55968d8e015534ae11a4&keyword=radiator

found this online

Last edited:
Thanks I will look into it

Why bother,you can buy a Vdub rad for less than 80 bucks.I did ,and it is the best thing I did cooling wise for my X.
Here , check out this article I wrote up on the subject.
http://xwebforums.com/forum/index.php?threads/7202/

But I thought you needed to cut holes in the car for that mod? I have read on a few different radiator switches and it involved cutting holes and mounting it in the nose and stuff. How much do those weigh?

I might be able to rig a second one up and do a duel pass setup for that price. Thought about putting a ball valve in there with a handle in the car and tuning the coolant system and be able to adjust the temperature while driving too.

Last edited by a moderator:
If weight is big enough of an issue that you're looking to be lighter in the radiator area, there is an all-aluminum Scirocco radiator that is supposed to be even lighter and more efficient than the standard one with the steel end-caps. While there are some mods to be done to make it all work, no cutting on the X body should be needed. If you decide to go a different route, let us know how you do it. With pics, of course!

...at one point I was toying with the idea of a "frame rail" radiator system...

vdub rad

the vdub rad that I used is aluminum with plastic end caps and only weighs about 8 lbs the fan I have on it weighs like 4 lbs. with my install there is no serious metal work that has to be done no holes have to be cut the vdub rad fits in the exact place of the stock Fiat rad.the only cutting was to a bracket up in the nose but you don't have to do it to get the vdub rad to fit the vdub rad is like 2 inches taller than the stock fiat so the vdub rad is going to be 2 inches lower from under the car or cut the bracket.

I might be able to rig a second one up and do a duel pass setup for that price. Thought about putting a ball valve in there with a handle in the car and tuning the coolant system and be able to adjust the temperature while driving too.

with the vdub rad the cooling is vary efficient and I don't see any reason to go thru the trouble of rigging up a second rad with a ball valve to control the cooling besides that's the thermostat's job.

Back