Random horn fixed...

budgetzagato

Administrator
One annoying aspect of my Scorpion was that the horn would sound by itself at random times. Most lately when I swapped in a nice stock steering wheel, I somehow made it worse. It was so bad I pulled the horn relay (far right one).

This past weekend I tried to figure out what was going on. I found that I had made some assumptions about how the circuit works and also found one of the steering hub contacts was in the wrong orientation.

There are two metal tabs that contact the back of the steering wheel hub. What I didn't realize until I studied things was that the tabs make contact to the back of the hub in two different places, orbits really... different distances from center. On my car the lower one was not in the proper inner position and therefore would occasionally complete the circuit by touching the outer tab's contact ring.

I moved it into position, toward the center of the hub, and gave the rivet like fastener some good taps with a punch and hammer to try to prevent future movement.

This is how it should look:

IMG_2217_zps12574b5c.jpg

Hopefully this will help others, I think X1/9's have a similar setup.

Back