Re-keying door locks/ swapping lock cylinders???

roadbox

True Classic
Re-keying door locks/ swapping lock cylinders??? UPDATE

Hey All,

I want to re-key a new set of door handles to the existing keys for the current door locks (which match the trunk/engine lock and glove box lock). I thought I had this figured out as being an easy swap of the barrels/cylinders to the new door handles, but apparently I'm an idiot ...not as simple as I thought. Can anyone give me the breakdown (literally, perhaps) on how one removes the lock cylinders???

Thanks for any help.

John O.

Last edited:
It isnt too difficult, depending on the size of your hands you may be able to do it without removing the handles from the door. The door panel does need to come off in any case.

This is from memory of the last time I pulled one of mine 15 years ago so it may not be completely accurate.

The cylinders are retained by the ends of a spring that go into a slot in the back of the cylinder. There is a pawl with a push rod to the door lock screwed to the cylinder that comes off before the spring can be accessed.

If you do need to remove the handle, it is held on with a three nuts on captive studs. Try not to drop the bracket into the door. The push rod will have to be pried off the ball end on the pawl to remove the handle completely. Be careful prying the plastic part off as it is possible to break the ball off the pawl, the pawl is service part bit good luck finding one. The screw throughout the pawl comes off first then the spring can be prized off one end at a time with needle nose pliers. Dont lose the small washers as they are needed.

It's not too difficult, just a bit fiddly. Take the opportunity to clean and lubricate the parts using graphite lubricant.

Hey Karl,

Thanks for the detailed instructions!

Is the screw holding the pawl in a tiny hole in the side of the pawl???

Thanks

John O.

Good question. I know there is a pin driven through the pawl that allows the pawl to rotate partway and I think there is a screw that holds the lock cylinder in the door handle along with the spring.

It has been a while since I held one in my hand, if I am wrong please update us with a note so we can all know a little more.

Thanks!

Karl

Hey All,

With some inspiration from Karl, I now know more about replacing the key barrel/cylinder in X doors than I ever wanted to know.

First thing to know:
Keys are not required to withdraw the cylinder/barrel from the door handle. So, say you have an X with no door keys, but the handles are lovely, and you have a set of working locks on a spare set of ugly handles, there is nothing to stop you from swapping the good cylinders to the nice handles. FWIW, all cylinders have "silver" (I assume stainless steel) faces whether they are in chrome or black anodized handles.

Pieces and parts:
Handles, lock cylinder/barrels, springs, and roll pin are identical left and right. If you don't have keys, the lock barrel/cylinder has a 6-digit code on the side which corresponds to the six pins in the lock barrel. This can help you ID matched sets.

The spring at the back of the barrel/cylinder, just in front of the pot metal pawl, has two functions. It retains the lock cylinder in the handle mechanism. It returns the lock barrel/cylinder to "zero" after the key has been used to lock or unlock the door. The spring is held in place exclusively by spring tension, but is also captured to a lesser extent by the pawl ...that is, to get the spring off, it is best to remove the pawl.

The pot metal "pawl" that fits on the end of the lock cylinder, (has a ball shape cast in to it, a known weak part which tends to snap off) is side specific (mirrored parts) and is THE ONE AND ONLY part, along with the "up" or "down" orientation of the lock barrel/cylinder, which determines whether the finished handle assembly is a left or right handle. The pawl floats through 90° of rotation on the end of the lock barrel/cylinder. It is held onto the lock barrel/cylinder with a rolled steel pin, driven through the pawl and a slotted opening in the body of the lock barrel/cylinder.

The work:
It is an impossibility to perform a swap of lock barrel/cylinders in the car. The handle must be removed and the operation performed on the bench. Simply, unless you're a contortionist, there is no way to get tool into the door to drive the rolled pin out. If you've done it in the car, you are IMO either a double jointed freak or a miracle worker.

I popped the push rod off the lock actuator lever inside the door and left the other end attached to the pawl. When trying out disassembly on a couple spare handles, it wasn't too much of a trick to snap the cast ball off of the pawl. I figured it best to leave it be.

I removed the three 8mm nuts and, like most folks do, could not help but drop two of the nuts and almost all of the six washers down into the door. It's nearly unavoidable.

Once on the bench, I carefully braced the pawl in a bench vise (with the handle up against my stomach) and drove the rolled pin out with a drill bit and light weight hammer. Drive from the depression in the side of the pawl. Of the four I drove out, two were easy, one was tougher, and one broke two drill bits. Once the pin is mostly out, it can be grabbed with channel locks and pulled the rest of the way out.

The spring comes off easily with a small electrician's flat head screw driver. Then the lock barrel/cylinder slides right out the front of the handle with no effort at all ...more than likely will fall out.

Once apart, this is a great opportunity to lubricate. I cleaned everything with WD40. Once dry, I lubed with a spray in, penetrating white lithium grease.

Re-assembly takes keeping your orientations straight. When viewed from the outside, the key hole of the lock barrel/cylinder is, of course, always vertical. It will only fit vertically, but can be fit upside-down. Correct orientation is with depression in the face always at the bottom of the vertical key hole. Right side handle has the depression pointing to the rear of the car. Left side handle has the depression pointing toward the front of the car. Once the spring is refit and the "zeroing" has been tested, the pawl can be refit.

Identifying the left and right pawls, if you've confused them isn't too tough. Orient your handle on the bench, with the lock barrel/cylinder already in place, with the bottom closest to you. Set the pawl on the lock barrel/cylinder, with the fat "pointed" end toward the main body of the handle. If the ball on the pawl is at the top, you have the correct one; if the ball is at the bottom, try again. The rolled pin drives back in very easily. Tap the pin part way in, then use channel locks to squeeze it the rest of the way home.

Done. Reinstall in the car.

A couple quick tips on reinstallation:

1) If you don't have one, get one of those magnets on the end of a telescoping antenna. They're cheap and most auto part places have them. You will need this to fish out the hardware you drop inside the door ...and you will drop hardware inside the door, count on it. You don't have to see what you're doing, just kinda slop it around blind in the bottom of the door. I was able to recover all nuts and washers I dropped.

2) load up the handle studs with anti-sieze. Ya, it'll keep the studs from rust, but more, it's just viscous enough to help keep the washers in place as your working.

3) In advance of installation, use a drop of super-glue (a.k.a. cyanoacrylate, I use Pacer Zap-A-Gap) to glue together two sets each of flat washer and lock washer. The handle stud which lines up behind the window track is a real headache to get the hardware back on. It's unavoidable that while trying to get the lock washer in place, you'll knock the flat washer off and down into the door. Gluing the two together gives more thickness, heft, whatever, to stay in place on the stud so you can then get the nut in place. Trust me, it works.

I hope this helps the next guy!!!

John O.

Last edited:
Hey All,

With some inspiration from Karl, I now know more about replacing the key barrel/cylinder in X doors than I ever wanted to know.

First thing to know:
Keys are not required to withdraw the cylinder/barrel from the door handle. So, say you have an X with no door keys, but the handles are lovely, and you have a set of working locks on a spare set of ugly handles, there is nothing to stop you from swapping the good cylinders to the nice handles. FWIW, all cylinders have "silver" (I assume stainless steel) faces whether they are in chrome or black anodized handles.

Pieces and parts:
Handles, lock cylinder/barrels, springs, and roll pin are identical left and right. If you don't have keys, the lock barrel/cylinder has a 6-digit code on the side which corresponds to the six pins in the lock barrel. This can help you ID matched sets.

The spring at the back of the barrel/cylinder, just in front of the pot metal pawl, has two functions. It retains the lock cylinder in the handle mechanism. It returns the lock barrel/cylinder to "zero" after the key has been used to lock or unlock the door. The spring is held in place exclusively by spring tension, but is also captured to a lesser extent by the pawl ...that is, to get the spring off, it is best to remove the pawl.

The pot metal "pawl" that fits on the end of the lock cylinder, (has a ball shape cast in to it, a known weak part which tends to snap off) is side specific (mirrored parts) and is THE ONE AND ONLY part, along with the "up" or "down" orientation of the lock barrel/cylinder, which determines whether the finished handle assembly is a left or right handle. The pawl floats through 90° of rotation on the end of the lock barrel/cylinder. It is held onto the lock barrel/cylinder with a rolled steel pin, driven through the pawl and a slotted opening in the body of the lock barrel/cylinder.

The work:
It is an impossibility to perform a swap of lock barrel/cylinders in the car. The handle must be removed and the operation performed on the bench. Simply, unless you're a contortionist, there is no way to get tool into the door to drive the rolled pin out. If you've done it in the car, you are IMO either a double jointed freak or a miracle worker.

I popped the push rod off the lock actuator lever inside the door and left the other end attached to the pawl. When trying out disassembly on a couple spare handles, it wasn't too much of a trick to snap the cast ball off of the pawl. I figured it best to leave it be.

I removed the three 8mm nuts and, like most folks do, could not help but drop two of the nuts and almost all of the six washers down into the door. It's nearly unavoidable.

Once on the bench, I carefully braced the pawl in a bench vise (with the handle up against my stomach) and drove the rolled pin out with a drill bit and light weight hammer. Drive from the depression in the side of the pawl. Of the four I drove out, two were easy, one was tougher, and one broke two drill bits. Once the pin is mostly out, it can be grabbed with channel locks and pulled the rest of the way out.

The spring comes off easily with a small electrician's flat head screw driver. Then the lock barrel/cylinder slides right out the front of the handle with no effort at all ...more than likely will fall out.

Once apart, this is a great opportunity to lubricate. I cleaned everything with WD40. Once dry, I lubed with a spray in, penetrating white lithium grease.

Re-assembly takes keeping your orientations straight. When viewed from the outside, the key hole of the lock barrel/cylinder is, of course, always vertical. It will only fit vertically, but can be fit upside-down. Correct orientation is with depression in the face always at the bottom of the vertical key hole. Right side handle has the depression pointing to the rear of the car. Left side handle has the depression pointing toward the front of the car. Once the spring is refit and the "zeroing" has been tested, the pawl can be refit.

Identifying the left and right pawls, if you've confused them isn't too tough. Orient your handle on the bench, with the lock barrel/cylinder already in place, with the bottom closest to you. Set the pawl on the lock barrel/cylinder, with the fat "pointed" end toward the main body of the handle. If the ball on the pawl is at the top, you have the correct one; if the ball is at the bottom, try again. The rolled pin drives back in very easily. Tap the pin part way in, then use channel locks to squeeze it the rest of the way home.

Done. Reinstall in the car.

A couple quick tips on reinstallation:

1) If you don't have one, get one of those magnets on the end of a telescoping antenna. They're cheap and most auto part places have them. You will need this to fish out the hardware you drop inside the door ...and you will drop hardware inside the door, count on it. You don't have to see what you're doing, just kinda slop it around blind in the bottom of the door. I was able to recover all nuts and washers I dropped.

2) load up the handle studs with anti-sieze. Ya, it'll keep the studs from rust, but more, it's just viscous enough to help keep the washers in place as your working.

3) In advance of installation, use a drop of super-glue (a.k.a. cyanoacrylate, I use Pacer Zap-A-Gap) to glue together two sets each of flat washer and lock washer. The handle stud which lines up behind the window track is a real headache to get the hardware back on. It's unavoidable that while trying to get the lock washer in place, you'll knock the flat washer off and down into the door. Gluing the two together gives more thickness, heft, whatever, to stay in place on the stud so you can then get the nut in place. Trust me, it works.

I hope this helps the next guy!!!

John O.
Super old thread. Any chance you took pictures of all this? Or drawings somewhere - being a newbie, nearly every part-term used here I don’t understand. Or if you know of a great photo instruction set somewhere else, thanks :)

It isnt too difficult, depending on the size of your hands you may be able to do it without removing the handles from the door. The door panel does need to come off in any case.

This is from memory of the last time I pulled one of mine 15 years ago so it may not be completely accurate.

The cylinders are retained by the ends of a spring that go into a slot in the back of the cylinder. There is a pawl with a push rod to the door lock screwed to the cylinder that comes off before the spring can be accessed.

If you do need to remove the handle, it is held on with a three nuts on captive studs. Try not to drop the bracket into the door. The push rod will have to be pried off the ball end on the pawl to remove the handle completely. Be careful prying the plastic part off as it is possible to break the ball off the pawl, the pawl is service part bit good luck finding one. The screw throughout the pawl comes off first then the spring can be prized off one end at a time with needle nose pliers. Dont lose the small washers as they are needed.

It's not too difficult, just a bit fiddly. Take the opportunity to clean and lubricate the parts using graphite lubricant.
Any advice on how NOT to break the plastic bits on the end of the pushrods, and the pawl as well? Most of these forum posts note these two things as a disaster waiting to happen.

Heat the plastic parts gently with a heat gun or soak them in hot water before you GENTLY pry them off.
Is it somehow possible to remove the entire assembly before dismantling? Just from looking into the door I had assumed the three pieces (handle - rod - latch) had to be taken apart BEFORE removal

Yes, you are right. The rod to the inner handle needs to come off, then the latch mechanism and lastly the outer handle. The little plastic ends are made out of Delrin or something similar, so they do not tend to get brittle but I still think a little judicious heating with a heat gun just to warm them up a bit will allow them to pop off without breaking.

If they do break there are some good discussions on how to replace them with better components. Same for the pawl. Or you can get factory type replacements from the Lada parts sources.

Yes, you are right. The rod to the inner handle needs to come off, then the latch mechanism and lastly the outer handle. The little plastic ends are made out of Delrin or something similar, so they do not tend to get brittle but I still think a little judicious heating with a heat gun just to warm them up a bit will allow them to pop off without breaking.
Well, I got the cylinder out of my spare door handle, and also a non-broken pawl/pushrod with intact plastic end. So that’s good. The local locksmith I’m working with was confident he’d be matching it to my other three locks, with the only downside a drop in security from 1 in 62,000 to 1 in 27,000 being able able to guess the right key combo.
I accepted those odds.
Next, the tough part: carefully removing the driver’s handle so this new cylinder can be dropped in.
Also, both my passenger and driver’s door plastic, handle cradles could use a repaint of black. Any advice on painting - can it be done without knocking the handle out of the cradle?

ED47D125-5C1E-47A5-B26C-2E1E61E3F20E.jpeg
24B8E71D-B1B3-4C47-9F10-71CA42E6713F.jpeg
37895DC5-FF0C-4E21-AAE7-AE3B8014A642.jpeg

Last edited:
This video may help you starting at 1.50.
Thanks - that video got me as far as I’ve got so far. I wasn’t sure if the bit with the screwdriver was the way everyone does it or not, as he broke one of the pegs I believe?
Where would you find those lugs if one had to be replaced.
And the polishing - wow, that cleaned up nicely. Mine could use that. A polishing wheel on a drill possibly, and do you need a chemical or paste?

Last edited:
The surround will be easier to paint with the handle out. You should see if @Ricardo Borja still sells his rubber button kits to replace the small bumpers under the handles. That way the handle is flush with the housing again. If you are going this far, might as well do it right.

The surround will be easier to paint with the handle out. You should see if @Ricardo Borja still sells his rubber button kits to replace the small bumpers under the handles. That way the handle is flush with the housing again. If you are going this far, might as well do it right.
Thanks. Those metal lugs would also be good to find, just in case it goes pear-shaped. Henk stocks the pawls.

Last edited:
I agree with Rodger, take it apart and refurbish everything. One of the threads that was linked previously (in one of your threads on this) shows the whole process. The little rubber tit that holds the handle in the correct position can be replaced with a "Chevrolet license plate bumper", available pretty much everywhere for a few cents. That is also discussed in the linked thread. Do some searching for it.

I agree with Rodger, take it apart and refurbish everything. One of the threads that was linked previously (in one of your threads on this) shows the whole process. The little rubber tit that holds the handle in the correct position can be replaced with a "Chevrolet license plate bumper", available pretty much everywhere for a few cents. That is also discussed in the linked thread. Do some searching for it.
Never would have thought to search for "Chevrolet license plate bumper" :) Too bad that thread uses Photobucket, and all detail of the photo is erased by their watermark. Old thread as well. Maybe my hardware store has something similar.
Any advice on polishing chrome?

Last edited:
Back