Re-Torqueing The Head

Joe F

Hi Miles, Lo Maintenance
There has been a lot of discussion lately of head gasket failure, and the proper torqueing technique. Having just replaced my head gasket, I will need to re-torque, so....

I figure a re-torque after my first run at temp, and then again at some future interval. I do not drive this car unless the weather is perfect for top down, so I do about 50 - 70 miles a week max during the summer. Do I wait a certain time, or miles?

BTW, where can I get the tool to do the nuts on the manifold side (I should be able to get to the bolts on the firewall side). Either borrow or buy.

Thanks

Joe, How about buy and sell ?

You buy them, you use them, then when you're done, you sell them to me? :grin:
All my engine work is outside of a chassis, so I've yet to buy a set. :hammer:

Or Better Yet,

If I can crank up my AutoCAD and do some thinking, I might be able to make a tool. I'll let you know.

But buying a tool is still an option. I'll repost on FSW.

tool

Hi joe, I posted a response in the FSW site. I may have the tool. I bought it from mwb when I had my head done. I can bring it over some time , I am in melrose

Thanks Bernice, I think that will work out.

BTW, I know there has been some discussion about torque values. My manual says to torque 19mm bolts & nuts to 69 ft. lbs. (9.5 kgm). This seems typical for a bolt/nut this size. Do you agree?

Thanks again.

Fiat service manual specifies 69 ft/lb. This applies to engines that use the M12 hard hardware.

Do loosen about 1/2 turn or so before applying torque to the specified 69 ft/lb.

Bernice

Thanks Bernice, I think that will work out.

BTW, I know there has been some discussion about torque values. My manual says to torque 19mm bolts & nuts to 69 ft. lbs. (9.5 kgm). This seems typical for a bolt/nut this size. Do you agree?

Thanks again.

M10 head bolts are stretchy ones, so those are tightened first to certain moment and after that 2 times 90 degrees, so there is no specified moment to tighten.

First torque on assembly. multiple stages, the more the better so the head clamps down evenly, 15/30/45/60 and then finally 69 lb/ft. This is going thru all the bolts /nut one at a time in torque sequence to each value, then stepping up the wrench to the next value, and repeating... it takes a little while, but certainly pays dividends by only having to do the head overhaul / gasket replacement once.

First re-torque after one heat cycle... run car, fan cycles on / off maybe three times, shut her down. Let it completely cool, overnight is best, retorque in the morning when the ambient temp is coolest.

Second re-torque, I usually do after maybe 100 miles (160km) so in your case this would be after maybe ten heat cycles... again completely stone cold.

For retorques...In torque sequence, one bolt/nut at a time, loosen the bolt/nut around 1/4 to 1/2 a turn with a breaker bar, retighten back the same amount... I use a paint marker on the bolt nut to get it back to pretty close to its original position... Then swap the breaker bar for the torque wrench and using steady slow and even pressure on the torque wrench, take it straight up to the final torque value (9.5kg/m)

Make sure bolt holes and threads are clean. Oil and drain bolt threads. apply a small dab of antisieze compound under the nut/bolt head between it and the thick flat washer, this reduces the friction involved to a minimum and helps achieve the maximum clamping force without taking the fastener into the 'plastic (deformation stage) and keeping things in the 'elastic' range where the fastener will return to it's original dimensions when load is released.

follow these steps and you will have success. (Bernice has more or less said exactly the same thing in this and other threads)

added thought... it also pays to check the manifold to head stud/nuts at the re-torque stages... and also the exhaut flange nuts (if your running a twin front pipe) as these will also come down another 1/8 of a turn usually. after 100 miles I usually check the cambox bolt tension too, and run a feeler gauge thru the gaps to confirm the lash hasn't altered beyond spec.

SteveC

Last edited:
Back