re-use or not 17mm head bolts

fiatmonkey

Tim Hoover
Hi,

What are folks thoughts on re-using the 17MM head bolts? The condition for the most part appear fine; one had some scaling but it came up with a soft wire brush.

Regards,
Tim

Me, never re-use any engine hardware. Even the timing belt cover bolts. Re-build or major serive derserves new hardware, consider it an investment for the next time anything is serviced.

For head bolts, main caps, and specially con rod bolts.. use once and replace as a strict rule.

Bernice

Hi,

What are folks thoughts on re-using the 17MM head bolts? The condition for the most part appear fine; one had some scaling but it came up with a soft wire brush.

Regards,
Tim

Me, never re-use any engine hardware. Even the timing belt cover bolts. Re-build or major serive derserves new hardware, consider it an investment for the next time anything is serviced.

For head bolts, main caps, and specially con rod bolts.. use once and replace as a strict rule.

Bernice

Bernice,

Good advice. I screwed up and thought I had a spare set new but they are the 19MM that I had originally for my 79 I think.

I see that Matt has a 17mm replacement set (new) but require a different than spec torque procedure.
http://marketplaceadvisor.channelad...l.aspx?sid=1&sfid=208227&c=193019&i=250929058

I am wondering if anyone has used these?

Thanks,
Tim

Matt 17mm

Tim,
last winter I bought 17mm head bolts from Matt and Felpro head gasket.
When I torqued the head I went in three steps to finally end at 69Foot-Pounds.
Now I have on the clock around 500 miles and no issue or leak.
I'm sastisfied.

Tim,
last winter I bought 17mm head bolts from Matt and Felpro head gasket.
When I torqued the head I went in three steps to finally end at 69Foot-Pounds.
Now I have on the clock around 500 miles and no issue or leak.
I'm sastisfied.

That is good news. Matt will be hearing from me tomorrow :) - hopefully not too late to update my last order (before it ships).

Thanks,
Tim

Not to throw a wrench into this...

Replacing the bolts is a good idea, will never say it is a bad thought or process.

However, I am running some old metal that has never been replaced without problems. That being said something can let go at any time, just hasn't happened yet to me.

In the old days when I ran my 36DCNF and 35-75 camshaft with a stock head gasket. loosing a head gasket was a yearly event. I could do a head gasket change in 2 hours on a desmogged 79. The stock Fiat head gaskets just could not keep up to the pounding and hard driving I did with that car. That engine now in a crate and retired. The current engine with a 9.2: 1 compression engine, 40-80 camshaft, MegaSquirt, headers and a .125" shaved head all put together with the same 1979 Bolts.

Just an opinion, no surpises yet. Fingers crossed.

TonyK.

Grimsby Ontario Canada.

Back