Really nice '86 on Craigslist

rx1900

1981 X1/9
Just saw this. Not mine, no connection:

https://waterloo.craigslist.org/cto/d/86-bertone-fiatfi/6693025348.html

Claimed to have less than 21K . And appears from the pics to be quite nice indeed. I could not see a single flaw aside from the carpet perhaps needing a good vacuum....

In today's market, this would appear to be exceptional value. To get an ordinary X up to this level would cost you a lot more than $5K.

Anyone out there looking for a really nice X would be wise to at least check this one out. I think it is in Iowa somewhere. I fear some low-life will buy it just to flip on BAT.

Time for another road trip Jim ?

86 x19.jpg

Thankfully I am on the beach this week. I won't be able to be tempted.

Looks very clean. Just to nitpick, it's missing the combination resistor for the heater blower, and I think it's an '85 - not an '86.

I paid $5800 for my X in very similar condition but 40k more miles (and AC). I'd absolutely scoop this up at $5k.

Looks very clean. Just to nitpick, it's missing the combination resistor for the heater blower, and I think it's an '85 - not an '86.

I paid $5800 for my X in very similar condition but 40k more miles (and AC). I'd absolutely scoop this up at $5k.
Non AC cars dont get that resistor, so while it is missing, it is correctly missing.

I think I've got that much in my car, and it's not this nice.
And I didn't even know the rear bumper speaker was an option!

+1

From what we can see, looks like a lot of car for the money!

Even though it can be hazardous to bet the ranch on a game of "Name that Model Year" when it comes to Italian Carrozzeria-built cars, it does have '85 characteristics such as bright sail panel trim and grey cloth interior---my '86 (mfg date 6-85) has blacked out sail panel trim and the bordeaux cloth interior. Not to mention the grigio over nero two-tone, which according to marketing brochures was not an '86 option. Would be curious to see the mfg date on the driver's door jamb.

Last edited:
Ahh makes sense.

Not sure about the FIAT cars, but all of the Bertones were equipped with a full electrical system to support A/C. On a non-A/C car you'll see the lead for the extra fan up in the rad compartment, the leads for the frost valves under the plastic cover on the right side of the frunk, the aforementioned bracket and wiring for the A/C blower resistor, the leads for the idle bump-up valve that would be mounted on the AFM bracket, the lead for the A/C fan clutch tucked under the top lip of the rear bulkhead in the engine room, etc. And of course the empty sockets in the relay panel next to the fuse center, and the other ends of the A/C blower wiring harness tucked up in the dash in the vicinity of glovebox liner/fuse center area.

Last edited:
Heckofa deal. I have way more invested in my '87 and had to rebuild literally everything. A rust-free, working, low-mileage one for $5K is worth every penny.

I guess I'll weigh in on the year. My identical-in-every-way (except condition - mine needs a bit of buffing out) to this X is an 85.

I contacted the owner the day he placed the ad and arranged to meet last week in Des Moines. He picked me up at the airport, I handed him a cashiers check and drove back to Austin without drama. My trip of 895 miles on 24.3 gallons is 36.8mpg! It's great but that marine steering wheel has got to go! I'll start a thread as I dive in and discover more. This is my second X in over 37 years so I'll sure need help getting up to speed.

I contacted the owner the day he placed the ad and arranged to meet last week in Des Moines. He picked me up at the airport, I handed him a cashiers check and drove back to Austin without drama. My trip of 895 miles on 24.3 gallons is 36.8mpg! It's great but that marine steering wheel has got to go! I'll start a thread as I dive in and discover more. This is my second X in over 37 years so I'll sure need help getting up to speed.

Congrats Cratecruncher. Looks like a really nice X.

Congratulations. This looks like a really nice one. Have lots of fun.

Back