rear brake caliper question on parking brake bracket

bikesandcars

True Classic
I have a few rear calipers around and I'm trying to rebuild a pair.

Is the cylindrical bracket the parking brake attaches to removable? It seems like it should spin but there also seems like a rolled pin that might be keeping it in place.

On all the calipers I have these are very frozen in place.

Any help appreciated, new ones are expensive!

Is the cylindrical bracket the parking brake attaches to removable? It seems like it should spin but there also seems like a rolled pin that might be keeping it in place.
You mean the one at the right-hand side of your picture, the one that the cable sheath ends at?

It's removable, and there's no roll pin or other locking device - other than a few decades of corrosion :wall:

Heat, penetrant, and the invocation of voodoo deities are your best bet.

Confession time: When I can't free that bit up on an otherwise good caliper... I've sometimes gone ahead with the rebuild, leaving that cylindrical bracket frozen in place. The brakes will still work.

so it just pulls out? nothing holds it on?

Awesome!

I can drill out the remainder of the one I broke off, and salvage one from another caliper with a broken bleeder... I just want to make a pair out of 4.

I'll use a bunch of heat and PB and report back, thanks!

Ok.. heat and PB got it loose to turn but not coming up and out, I tried a couple tactics and it spins fine but won't lift.

Are you sure this roll pin isn't keeping it in?

retehy5y.jpg

Ok.. heat and PB got it loose to turn but not coming up and out, I tried a couple tactics and it spins fine but won't lift.

Are you sure this roll pin isn't keeping it in?

Hmmm... Maybe that explains why it comes out on some of my calipers but not others. Learn something new every day....

As others have mentioned, this does not haveta...

move very much, if at all for the e-brake cable to function well.

I don't see why you are going through the effort to remove it... I would soak, and then HAMMER it (impact on top) and then try to twist it a little. It should free up without removing it altogether.

HTH...

Got one caliper rebuilt. Here's a trick that helped.

peje6apu.jpg

ry2e7upe.jpg

I'll report back on roll pin situation, this one didnt need it.

Since I already have tools like an ultrasonic washer, bead blaster, buffing wheel etc this is definately time well spent. A pain though

jabynasy.jpg

Back