Rear brakes not working

Lee_L

Low Mileage
I put new pads, rotors, and hoses all the way around.
After pressure bleeding I now have front brakes but no rears.
Do I have air trapped in the MC rear circuit, or is my MC bad?
I bled them till no more air bubbles were apparent.
Should I have an assistant depress the brake pedal while bleeding? I wasn't able to do that.
Thanks

Check for motion in the rears

Hi Lee,

Another semi-quick check is to pull off the rear caliper and see if the piston moves when you step on the brakes. Maybe they are stuck from screwing them back in?

This burned me once......

If you have the stock brake fluid reservoir it is twin chamberd. There is a internal divider and if the car or container is not level then it is posible to fill only the section for one of the circuits. Pull the cap and make sure both sides are full.

It took me 3 tries to get my rear brakes bled right, and that was using speed bleeders and a vacuum pump to pull through and get them started both times (I let the lines drain completely when I took it apart). You will need help if you don't have speed bleeders, and even if you do it's good to have a friend help so they can watch the hose as you bleed and tell you when to stop, as well as keep an eye on the reservoir it's easy to let it get too low. If you did let it get low lift up the right side of the car and stick some stands under and leave it for a while to let any air up out of the feed line to the MC. If you don't have brake fluid coming out under the dash onto your feet I don't think you have a bad MC. Also, don't unscrew the bleeder too far or air will get in the threads and if you don't mind me asking how were you able to bleed the rear passenger side and see if there were bubbles coming out or not? Mirrors? Haha. Also, you probably know this but follow the lines and look for leaks. Well I am quite the amateur myself but that's how I got it working. Good luck!!!

Guessing

if you don't mind me asking how were you able to bleed the rear passenger side and see if there were bubbles coming out or not? Mirrors?

I will take a guess as to how he did the rear.

He said he used a pressure bleeder. If it is like my pressure bleeder, you fill the tank with a couple quarts of brake fluid and connect it to the res. Then put a few pounds of pressure into the tank and go back and open the bleed screw. The fluid from the tank keeps refilling the res and the pressure keeps the fluid moving to the open bleed screw.

bavauto_p_bleeder.jpg

I like this tool, but others prefer to pump the pedals.

Jim wins the prize :sun:
Pressure bleeding seems to work ok for me. I thought I had licked my problem but seems I need to be checking all the things you fine folks have suggested. I'll let ya know how things turn out

Back