rear hub (wheel) bearing removal tips?

Dany

X-ing in Canada
Hi i'm in the process of replacing the 4 wheel bearings on my '85.
the front went somewhat well (without a press, it' a PITA job).
now with the back i encoutered something clearly NOT in the haynes:
"Section 11 : rear hub bearing removal: please refer to section 9 (front hub bearing) as they are the same steps" or something to that effect.
NOT! idiots... the rear hub bearing has a threaded retaining ring as the front one has a plate-ring and a retaining ring. My threaded ring was so rusty and degarded I had to tear it off. The threads on the spindle are fine, but now I need to replace the ring.

Question: any home made tools help? tricks? tips? The second ring is in view but I am not touching it before I have a better plan... Plus re-installing the fresh ones (if matt can find them) will be interesting without a tool...

Thanks in advance!

dany

Yep

Here you go Dany... my experience with making a tool for the late model rear bearings:

http://www.network54.com/Forum/12159/message/1118811100/

You should have asked before you tore up the first ring. They are really pricey these days. I bought a spare when I did the job back in 2004 and I saved the ring I banged up. I only damaged the inside egdes, the threads are still good.

do you still have that?

so you still have a "spare" ring in re-usable condition?

Thanks for the link, I forwarded to my mech.
PS: his name is Nick but we all call him Tony... A pun my buddy told me with the letters F.I.A.T....

never mind!

I just ordered from Matt.

thanks

I will still need to figure out how to re-install :jedi:

Go over to the Xweb 1.0 archives

and search on "rear wheel bearing" and other variations of that set of words. You will find a lot of advice on removal and re-installation.

Back