Rear Struts

theartur2000

Daily Driver
I have a 1975 Fiat X1/9. It has factory struts and the front right and rear left have gone completely stiff. I want to replace all four but I can't find 1974-1979 rear struts anywhere. The newer ones require a later model rear spring perch in order to attach and that part is very pricey. Does anyone know where I can get that later model rear spring perch or the two early model rear struts? Or is there a way to modify the current perch?

Does your car have the "removable insert" type strut, or the sealed units?

If they are the removable insert type, I think there has been some discussion about strut inserts that fit. Anything Fiat-specific is long gone of course, but I seem to recall that maybe some Koni 8610/8611 series stuff fits? Not sure about that at all, but it would be worth some searches. Also, Koni stuff is expensive, so there's that...

Pete

PS Not sure what part exactly you are referring to as the "rear spring perch", but if it's the part I'm thinking of, it is neither rare nor expensive to my knowledge. Are you talking about the part that sits directly on top of the rear spring?

$90 doesn't seem bad to me, but if you want to find some cheaper, post an ad in FSW. I'm sure someone's got some laying around, a lot of people switched to coil-overs and no longer have a use for that part.

Back