rear suspension bush fitting?

Duncan

True Classic
I'm replacing my rear suspension control arm(wishbone) bushes.

I've burnt out/cut the old bushes out but need some advice about how to fit the new ones. They seem a tight fit - is it just a case of knocking them on with a rubber mallet or pressing them on with a vice. I was going to use a bit of washing up liquid on the sleeve to
make them slip in easier

They don't look as though they have to go on to the wish bone in any specific way - e.g. there appears to be no leading edge.

Regards

Duncan

Got the thing out need to put the new one on

Dan,

I made a tool using pipe and bolt washer etc to remove the bush, but the tubing was not strong enough and I could not get a correct fitting washer.

In the end I simply used a blow torch to melt the rubber and grips to pull out the middle tube/sheath and rubber. I then used a hack saw to cut away the other sheath, making sure I did not cut the control arm sheath. I've cleaned everything and will use wd40 as lube when refitting

The videos are great - did not think to look on youtube - will use ideas from youtube to make a compressor to push the new bush into the control arm

Thanks for the advice

Duncan

How I fitted the new bushing

I used the old outer bush sheath, put a piece of dowel in the middle of it - cut short enough for the inner metal sheath of the new bushing to be supported against. I then cut the dowel flush with the back of the old metal sheath.

I then sprayed wd40 on the control arm and the new bush. I then inserted the new tool into the bush and put everything in a vice and tightened. Oh I put a wide bit of tube the other end of the bush I was trying to insert so that when the inner bush pushes out of the control arm it has enough clearance away from the back of the vice.

Back