Rear suspensionarm balljoint xchange

tempra33

Low Mileage
Hi people, first posting from me. From Sweden and about to restart the ol´ X-file which I purchased back in 1992. Has covered 80000 km since new.

Have read roumours about some ancient Toyota Corrola balljoints should fit to the dreaded X rear arm?
Any opinons on other brands of balljoints which interchanges?

Ideas how to rebuild appreciated.
Silly prices, if available, on originals....

Pls excuse for spelling.

Keep em screaming./
TJ

Last edited:
TJ... welcome... sorry, but I can't contribute...

... and intelligent answer to your question.

Knock on wood... meaning good luck... I have 165,000 on my ride with NO suspension issues. I also have not heard of any interchangable ball joints.

Henk Martens is the man in Europe though that I believe can supply you with replacements... I have NO idea of the "silly" prices though.

By the way... "TJ" is a local collocializm for "Tijuana, Mexico" around here... but isn't used that much in my elderly crowd anymore.

HA!

Welcome aboard... hopefully someone has some GOOD news for ya!

I found this on the net. When the time comes I will do the same here, meaning I will tool up and rebuild what I have. The price for the new ball joints is insane. I am not sure why they cost so much.

As for the Delerin internals, that can be machined as well from round stock.

TonyK.

UPDATE TO REPAIR OF X1/9 REAR BALL JOINT

One drawback to the repair of the rear suspension lower ball joint described in a previous article, by fitting a bronze seat and welding the steel ring back in place to hold it together, is that if it needs replacing in the future it will have to be attacked again with an angle grinder to get it apart. It also requires regular greasing to prevent premature wear.

Mike Quinn Precision Engineering can now fit the complete internals from a donor 124 or 132 front lower ball joint into the X1/9 housing, so it uses the new plastic seat instead of making a bronze one, and it’s removable, not welded in place. This is done by tapping a large diameter thread into the X1/9 housing and machining and screw cutting the outer diameter of the donor joint and screwing it in place.

You will probably still want a grease nipple fitted, but it won’t require as regular greasing as a metal on metal joint. New donor joints may vary internally depending on the manufacturer, one with a one piece plastic seat as per the original X1/9 is preferred, unfortunately you can’t tell until it’s been cut apart. Cost of the work is about $200 plus about $30 for the donor joint.

Another option is at this link.

http://www.fiatclubvic.org/Text/1133264843953-1390/uploadedFiles/1133261051984-7578.doc

I also reseached the Toyota ball joints ( All ) from 1968 to 1985, they are not at all similar to the X rear ball joints.

Last edited:
ball joints in stock...

Have read roumours about some ancient Toyota Corrola balljoints should fit to the dreaded X rear arm?
Any opinons on other brands of balljoints which interchanges?

I have not heard about old Toyota ball joints, but I stock the correct rear ball joints. They are NOT CHEAP!
Right http://www.fiatplus.com/right-rear-lower-ball-joint-pr-282750.html
left http://www.fiatplus.com/left-rear-lower-ball-joint-pr-284432.html
Having changed a few I can admit they are a pain. I have tried lots of things to get the old ones out, but now I just spark up the old cutting torch I cut them out making a big pile of burning metal on the ground.

Lat time I tried to restock the fronts all the regulars in Italy said 'no', so I contracted a production run with a good manufacturer. Of course the order showed up incomplete (typical Italians), but we have some of each side back in stock. They will be on the web page as soon as they clear US Customs.

Chris Obert

Txs for input.

Someone in Italy is making serious money....

I´ll try the 131-transplant method and will report back.
From what I see my left rear A-arm already has seeen some welding at the balljoint area, someone has done a swap over the years.

(Black Tooth - I sure had a good time in Tijuana back in the 90´s.)

Ball joint pricing.

With the current exchange to Canada a ball joint with import taxes would cost me $595 CND plus shipping. That kind of expense leaves me lots of options to experiment and do a rebuild with 124 or 132 lower ball joints. When I look at the price of other ball joints $50 USD or less is the norm, the high price leaves others to explore other options.

TonyK.

Grimsby Ontario Canada.

Or the other alternative...

...just replace the entire control arm with a used one that has a good, solid ball joint for about $100.00.

If you buy it from me and it goes bad during the lifetime of your ownership I'll give you another control arm on-the-house. (I'm not kidding).

If anyone wants to try separating the ball joint from the control arm, I'll send you a junk arm and you can fart around with it for a few hours. :)

-M

I've done the separation and

it's no picnic. Buy the assembly from Matt and save yourself a LOT of pain.

Matt is the Man

I have used ones on my car. Got them from a parts car but if I had to do it all over again and didn’t have a parts car I would get theme from Matt.

Ok, separated the joint from A-arm with some appropriate violence.
Boxwelded the arm for reinforcement while at it.

Found this unit from early Toyota Corolla 77-82. Looks like it could be machined to fit?

moz-screenshot.jpg
102086.jpg

Toyota Ball joint.

Without having both ball joints in front of me to take accurate measurement, this is a guess at very best that it will work. An exploded diagram or actual ball joint taken appart would be a first step. However Rock Auto has in stock the 124 ball joints that have the same interal componets as the X rears.

TonyK.

Grimsby Ontario Canada.

Bought a lower balljoint for Nissan Primera MY02- (USD11). Same item as used on Nissan Sunny Model.

It is very similar to the X one. Same height, thread & size. Need some machining/welding to fit the X "joint-arm" - but it WILL be done.

Last edited:
...just replace the entire control arm with a used one that has a good, solid ball joint for about $100.00.

-M

Only about 500 x1/9s sold here so replacements are scarce. Ive looked around without any success. If I were to import from US the freight duties, and then 25 % VAT on top, would kill the project budget.

hi I'm been looking at this , but our Aussie laws state that we can not weld near the balljoints at all ! :sad:
so checked out fiatorque for exchange Au$484 with out postage (us$691) :mad:
it looks like that mad Matt's the go Au$300 with postage ! :happy:

if you go to this site click on "products" then "control arm" !

http://www.fiatorque.com.au/index.html

Phil

Back