Rear Wheel Bearing V Seals

catterar

Bob Cattera
Some times I feel like a complete idiot.
Replacing the rear wheel bearings I did one side at a time.
Right side first. After completely reinstalling it I started on the left side.
My confusion is that on the right side the V seal was installed in the carrier with the flat surface against the bearing and the V side protruding through the plate. Like this

On the left side the seal was on the stub hub with the flat surface against the hub and the V side against the plate. Like this.

So which is correct? I'm hoping it is the right side so I don't have to tear it apart agin.

Thanks

I think the left is correct, sorry

I just did both of mine and the V seals were just like your second picture. My pillars had a thrust ring on the inside of the pillar next to the bearing. The shop manual says to remove it, but you don't need to, to remove the bearing. The V part of the seal goes against that thrust ring and it is mounted on the inner hub just as in your left side picture. Here is a picture of my pillar showing the thrust ring.

The V seal on the outer hub works the same way, with the thin V part contacting the inside of the lock ring. Here is a picture of the outer hub with the seal in place.

Thanks

That is what I was afraid of.
If you give me a 50/50 chance 75% of the time I'll get it wrong.
Bob

Thin edge of the V ring seal on the sheet metal plate. Lube with grease before assembling.

Bernice

Back