Rear wheel bearings replacement

Dave Bassett

True Classic
Can anyone direct me to instructions on how the 850 rear wheel bearings are to be replaced, preferably without dismantling the rear suspension? The shop manual I have does not address that question. Thank you.

I did this 17 years ago and foolishly did not write up notes (which was really dumb as I had never done anything that invasive before). I was able to piece together a protcol using my Haynes manual, the shop repair manual, the shop parts manual and Greg Schmidt's book. If I am recalling correctly, you need to take off the axel and flex coupler, then take the cotter pin off of the casterllated nut and pull the stub axel (that was the hardest part for me, I had to use a slide hammer), and then remove the ou will need to pull the stub axels out, and then the brake plate, and finally you can get the carrier off that has the bearings in it. The bearigs come out pretty easily with a drift, and you can use either a drift or a press to put the new ones back in. I recently purchased bearing kits from Holtmann & Niedergerke (in Germany) for 35 euros or so. I am sure the more experienced folks on the page can provide a clearer view of what is involved. ljf

Can anyone direct me to instructions on how the 850 rear wheel bearings are to be replaced, preferably without dismantling the rear suspension? The shop manual I have does not address that question. Thank you.
I think that somewhere in this job you need a 16mm socket for some of the bolts that hold the bearing assembly in place. However, I could be wrong here.
Also as a last resort I used a BFH to get the stub axle out of the bearing housing. I remember too, that I had several spare axles ready in case the hammer deal went wrong. Good luck!

I think that somewhere in this job you need a 16mm socket for some of the bolts that hold the bearing assembly in place. However, I could be wrong here.
Also as a last resort I used a BFH to get the stub axle out of the bearing housing. I remember too, that I had several spare axles ready in case the hammer deal went wrong. Good luck!
What I am gathering so far is that the wheel plate needs to come off, presumably with a strike hammer, and an outer nut loosened. Then the axle needs to be detached from the flex joint so the the stub axle can be pulled inward. The bearings are then pulled out from the outside. Reassembly would be the reverse of this process.

The way I did it (17 year caveate mentioned above) was to remove the inner axel by first undoing the bolts (#11288021) that hold #4144477 in place and sliding that part inward intill it cleared the castle nut (#4037820). Then I loosened and removed the castle nut. Then, I bolted an old rim to the brake drum/stub axel, and jerry rigge a slide hammer to the rim and pulled the stub axel out (#4162466, pulling outward, not inward). From his note, it sound like Gene got his out by hitting the inner end of the axel where the castle nut attaches with a BFH. Once the axel is out, it is pretty simple to pull the brake plate off and remove the bearing carrier (#s 4122938 & 4176046), disassemble that and replace the bearings. I just checked and there are fairly decent write ups in both the Fiat 850 shop manual and the Haynes manual.

1637731328726.png

The way I did it (17 year caveate mentioned above) was to remove the inner axel by first undoing the bolts (#11288021) that hold #4144477 in place and sliding that part inward intill it cleared the castle nut (#4037820). Then I loosened and removed the castle nut. Then, I bolted an old rim to the brake drum/stub axel, and jerry rigge a slide hammer to the rim and pulled the stub axel out (#4162466, pulling outward, not inward). From his note, it sound like Gene got his out by hitting the inner end of the axel where the castle nut attaches with a BFH. Once the axel is out, it is pretty simple to pull the brake plate off and remove the bearing carrier (#s 4122938 & 4176046), disassemble that and replace the bearings. I just checked and there are fairly decent write ups in both the Fiat 850 shop manual and the Haynes manual.

View attachment 55206
Thank you so much. This is really helpful. I appreciate you cross referencing the part numbers with the diagram because I a a visual person. I do have a Fiat shop manual but was unable to find this information. If you can direct me, it would be great.

Glad it is helpful. In the Fiat shop manual, it is shown in Chapter 6 (rear suspension and wheels), look at pages 147 through 151. In Haynes it is in Chapter 11 (suspension, shock absorbers, steering), pages 170-175. A lot of the images are shown with the trailing arm/hub removed from the car, but you can do it all while attached (Figure 259 in the manual). Funny re missing stuff in the manual, I have asked a number of questions here only to learn that the info was in the manual and I just overlooked it :)

Back