rebuild... codename 138.2

wannabfast

Thai with a 78 in MN
well i finally got around to putting my spare engine on a stand to get a better look at what im dealing with
i pulled it out of a junkyard x sometime last year, it had a blown head gasket and a cracked head, so far from what i was able to gather after pulling the head off
there was quite a bit of oil residue on the sides where the end plates bolt to the block, so naturally i presume its because those gaskets are old and have been seeping for quite a while, also the seals probably werent in the best of shape either

so finally got the engine on the stand and rotated it to drain out any remaining oil and coolant, and i noticed this...
15348_1280912782469_1219530682_840203_844032_n.jpg

now there was a rubber stopper in there and it looked to have sealed correctly, however this has me worried, i dont want to dig into this engine yet as i dont want to do it when i dont have any magnetic trays to hold all the bolts, altho i should just get a box of zipper baggies to keep everything organized.. might go pick some up in a little bit

so my question for you guys is this, does this look like something from the inside punching out or something from the outside punching in? either way, its getting replaced

thats odd, but if the damage is only a bad pan its no big deal im sure lots of people have extra pans, i iknow i do.and ill never have an x motor.

the damage appears to be external going in, judging by the edge chiping on the inside, and the fact that the metal splash shield is covering the area with no apparent damage in that vicinity so it musta been one heck of a block, or someone couldnt figure out how to get the drain plug off so they made a new one..
i got some more dis-assembly done, oil pump out, fuel pump off, crank breather off, oil drain tube out, got to the pistons and i noticed piston 4 was cracked.. cracked you say? yes cracked! so im adding a piston or 4 to my shopping list
im uploading some pics, but again, my best guess is that the headgasket blew, shot a sizable chunk into cylinder 4 and it pressed against the head causing it to crack and push down the piston causing it to crack in not 1 but 2 separate spots, i saw the first big crack then i saw the scoring then i noticed a finer crack on the other side, i cant even get the rings off to check it

[FONT=&quot]http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2043827&id=1219530682&l=8a98a28ab4[/FONT]
link to pictures its not pretty

What's that on the freeze plug?

Looks as though a temp sensor(?) has been added by drilling into a freeze plug. Creative I guess.. I wonder what prompted that?

Gets cold in Minnesota...

Looks as though a temp sensor(?) has been added by drilling into a freeze plug. Creative I guess.. I wonder what prompted that?

I bet that is a block heater, commonly installed in place of a freeze plug.

Dent In

From the picture it looks like it was punch in from the outside.If it was from the inside the metal will look like it was push out...Hope that helps out..

Thai, what size is the hole, I am wondering if someone tried lifting or holding up the engine with a bottle jack and punched a hole in the pan. If it was broken from the inside I would think the damage would be so bad plugging it with a rubber drain plug would not have helped.

With all that damage, this engine would seem to be more scrap metal than economically-rebuildable core.
well so far i really only need a pan and 1 piston, i got a newer head that seems to be undamaged, so im ok with that, however the main reason i want this block is because its a 1500, i currently have a 1300 in my x

Thai, what size is the hole, I am wondering if someone tried lifting or holding up the engine with a bottle jack and punched a hole in the pan. If it was broken from the inside I would think the damage would be so bad plugging it with a rubber drain plug would not have helped.
its about 3/4" in diameter, and it seems to be situated between the fins, so im going to go out on a limb and say this was intentional, but i did find this engine in a junk yard, and the car obviously was there for some reason, my guess is because the person working on it was cutting corners, the head was "redone" as it looked way too clean compared to the engine, but the pistons were heavily washed to the point it looked new, so it had a blown head gasket, but i need to do some measuring yet to see if it has been bored a little

Thai... PLEASE get a second opinion...

... locally.

Its hard to tell from the photos... but I gotta agree with Dan...

It would appear to me that this engine's pan was hit and lost its oil, and the pistons and cylinders were scored, and it overheated and it cracked its head also.

It just doesn't APPEAR to be the best candidate for a rebuild. Before you order ONE piston... take what ya have to a reputable rebuilder and ask their opinion. Hopefully, DAN and I are wrong... but its would be WORTHWHILE to YOU to prove it to YOURSELF!

Maybe the junkyard punched a hole to drain the oil

Instead of pulling the plug. Pull the pan and see what you got.

Thai,

That engine looks beyond rebuilding. For the money you will need to put into that you could buy a short block from Matt.

I second the junkyard possibility...

There is a good chance it is from the junkyard. I know that at some junkyards, at least the u pull it yard that I frequent, it is common practice to drain the fluids using an air chisel. The guys prepping cars just punch a hole in the oil pan, transmission pan on autos, and gas tank. It's quick and easy but it does make finding a good gas tank or oil pan a little difficult.
just my 2 cents

... locally.

Its hard to tell from the photos... but I gotta agree with Dan...
It just doesn't APPEAR to be the best candidate for a rebuild. Before you order ONE piston... take what ya have to a reputable rebuilder and ask their opinion. Hopefully, DAN and I are wrong... but its would be WORTHWHILE to YOU to prove it to YOURSELF!

well i will most likely get a whole set of pistons anyways, it just puts be behind schedule, ive already inspected the rod journals, and the rod bearings appear to be practically new, i havent taken the mains off yet, but i would suspect the same, and only 1 piston is scored, that one is condemned, but dan said economically-rebuildable and it is beyond that im affraid, but the cylinder walls seem to be in decent enough shape for an overbore, but i still need to strip the block down even further and bring it to a machine shop to inspect anyways
i wish i could get a done block and call it good, but thats just not in the cards for me yet

besides it doesnt look that bad, the crankshaft rotates freely enough, and i suspect the top of the block may be warped a little, but nothing a little machine wont handle

Back