Rebuild Nearly Finished

Jeff N

Your Mileage May Vary
Rebuild Nearly Finished - Pics included

This past weekend I went to my buddies shop to visit my engine that he's been rebuilding for me. He's been meticulous in going through it and it's finally almost done. Unfortunately, I didn't think to bring my camera and only had my cell phone to take a pic with.

172202.jpg

I'm pretty excited to finally be getting this finished. I only had the car restoration finished for a very short time before the head gasket blew and I decided that it was time for a rebuild, so I really had no time to actually drive it.

Absolutely everything on the engine has been cleaned, scrubbed, painted, refreshed and/or replaced. The 1300 block, now bored out for 1500 pistons, is done, the head is done and the cam box just has to finish being cleaned and painted and everything re-assembled. I also rebuilt the transmission while he was doing the motor, including new forks, sliders, synchros and seals and the housing painted. I'm hoping to get the motor back in the next couple weeks and get it put back in, maybe even take a couple days off work so I don't have to wait for a free weekend. I think that I may actually eat off of it once I get it installed. :excited:

I'll post some better quality shots during the install.

Last edited:
A COUPLE OF WEEKS???

... A COUPLE OF DAYS???

How 'out a COUPLE OF HOURS?

What is this... some kinda BLIND-FOLD CHALLANGE?

Geez, some friend!

But... looks like he's doing some good work also... Congrats!

Ready to Install

102158.jpg

095028.jpg

I finally got some better quality pics. I'm hoping to start the installation on monday, since the weekend is already spoken for. So with any luck, I'll be back in X-tacy sometime next week!

Last edited:
A beauty in the sun

that motor is.
The aluminum parts look ceramic coated or something.
Is it or just the sunlight?
Good luck

Wish it was ceramic coated!

Just some hi-temp Rustoleum engine paint. Brushed aluminum I think.

Looks nice Jeff

I hope the install goes well and you are out enjoying the spring weather soon!! :)

I am still working on my 1500 build up for my 78. It is definitely the largest task I have ever taken on and I am dragging my feet a bit. :(

Maybe the pics will help invigorate you. I know seeing it like that sure helped me.

It's In!

Got the engine back in today, actually quicker than I anticipated.

b_094229.jpg

Ready to get hoisted in.

b_113022.jpg

My son, installing the heater hoses.

The work is about 75% complete, just need to connect all the fuel lines (forgot to take pictures, so that might be interesting. Anyone have any?), install the new electronic ignition and remount the passenger side suspension. I'm hoping to get it cranked over by tomorrow afternoon.

Congrats! and fuel lines...

on the tank, the upper nipple goes to the pump, attaching at the pump on the nipple closest to the firewall.

pump nipple nearest block comes up to carb and connects to the nipple on the right, as you face the carb from the rear of the car.

the other carb connection goes to the lower nipple on the tank, the return line. (this one may be smaller)

Great work... Great kid...

... but now everything else under the car looks so-so with that GREAT looking engine and trans!

HA!

Pay the kid another 10 bucks to mask and paint all the rest! I'll keep 'im busy over Easter too!

It Lives!

I got it all put back together tonight and with a little anxiousness, fired it up. To my shock, it started on the first crank! No priming, no hiccupping, just started right up purring. :thumbsup: There is some smoke, but I guess that's to be expected. All I have left is to get the sensor wires sorted out, since I apparently didn't adequately label them.

I'm a very happy boy tonight! :grin:

Congrats! I'll be crusing through Tacoma tomorrow on my way home for spring break....I'll have my eye out for a yellow X rippin around!

Not so good today

started it up this morning and there was a loud clattering noise about 15 seconds later. I think it may just be the alternator, so here's hoping. Still, not very happy about anything getting in my way of DRIVING THIS THING! And it's supposed to be near 70 today too. Grrrr.

Found it

One of the long bolts that holds the alternator body together broke, apparently when I was tightening it after putting the splash guard back on. It wiggled out enough to interfere with the cooling fins. Just need to pull the alt and replace the bolt. That sure beats the alternative of something breaking free inside the motor. Can't express how much that would suck.

Back