Redline MTL

Dave Bassett

True Classic
Several people here have recommended have recommended Redline MTL synthetic gear lube as it may help my 850]s synchros work better. Can anyone tell me what weight and any other specifics are best? I'm planning to do it this next week. Thanks.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B002INJ69I/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_ZQ7B20A1YNB309Z91T4X

1638899477933.png

Last edited:
the only problems with redline are:

1. if the transmission isn't sealed up tight, it will leak even worse! and
2. the cost as being synthetic it's kinda pricey (especially here in Australia)

I've had great results with Castrol VMX80 transmission oil, being non synthetic it's less than half the price...

SteveC

the only problems with redline are:

1. if the transmission isn't sealed up tight, it will leak even worse! and
2. the cost as being synthetic it's kinda pricey (especially here in Australia)

I've had great results with Castrol VMX80 transmission oil, being non synthetic it's less than half the price...

SteveC
Thank you! I di dislike leaks! Does the Castrol include compounds that attack copper?

No, it's GL4 rated the same as the Redline, and contains no EP (extreme pressure) additives - which are usually the sulphur based compounds that attack brass components.

SteveC
Thank you Steve. As I understand it, synchros need grip and ring and pinions need slide. When they share oil, it presents challenges. It seems like this product is not available in the U.S., at least under that name.

Last edited:
Lots of feedback has shown improved shifting and prolonged life using full synthetic lube. See some of the prior threads on this.
Personally I'd rather fix leaks than use thicker oils to slow them down. ;)

My friends in the Lancia Fulvia Community have switched from MTL to this. No personal experience but I plan to try it.

Yeah, interesting but.... If you are like 99.99% of the 850's, its not a daily driver, in fact probably less than 10 miles a week on average (or a lot less !). If the dino oil works, and doesn't leak, thats good enough. I'd have used MTL in newer cars that were driven more. Don't need Speed Racer oil on the 850.
What I am hoping for is better shifting. It would be a trivial price to pay if it helps.

So changing to a different synthetic is not going to change the shifting. What exactly is your concern? I've driven two 850 coupes and frankly they don't shift like BMW 3 series or even an Alfa GTV/Spider or even a 124/131. They like slow gear changes with a light touch. You've got a 50 year old long linkage pushing rear mounted 50 year old gears and synchros.

So changing to a different synthetic is not going to change the shifting. What exactly is your concern? I've driven two 850 coupes and frankly they don't shift like BMW 3 series or even an Alfa GTV/Spider or even a 124/131. They like slow gear changes with a light touch. You've got a 50 year old long linkage pushing rear mounted 50 year old gears and synchros.
You are almost certainly correct. I just want to optimize. The previous owner was unable to tell the brand of lube used. Based on other things he said my guess is that it has been in the car for ten years, or so. I guess I'm hoping that better and newer oil will reduce the need for double cluthing. Again, having recently bought the car, changing the fluids seems like a good idea.

What I am hoping for is better shifting. It would be a trivial price to pay if it helps.
I’m sorry but I disagree. Changing the oil to MTL on several of my Italian cars has made a difference with smoother, faster shifts. True its not gonna change it a modern (especially Honda) feel but… it’s improved the performance on everything from my race Alfetta to my vintage F-150. For the price I think it’s a worthy improvement.

@NM850 I imagine that changes you made the Alfetta linkage made a big difference. I remember the Alfetta shifting quite well :p. And yes, any gear oil won't restore 50 year old worn syncros, which were dubious when new. Double clutching is part of the vintage Italian experience.

Last edited:
Back