"Regular" brake thread

DanielForest

True Classic
Hi,

Recently, I bought some NOS early Bendix x1/9 front calipers. Then I ordered some new front and read hoses from MWB. Just to remind you my car is in the garage for 19 years, so I assumed the hoses may need renewal.

This afternoon, I was trying to fit the brakes to my car. Then I discovered all my banjo bolts OR the hoses with the male fitting at the end doesn't want to easily engage in the caliper bolt hole of the nos early front calipers. Did some tests, dig in my brake parts box to find some 1300 banjo bolts, but they seems to be all the same. And all parts were matching well my old 1500 cc calipers, including the new rear hoses with the male thread. But there is a lot of resistance after the first 1/4 inch of the banjo bolt is threaded into the nos calipers.

I couldn't find any info about a different size bolts in early calipers. Checked with my tap and die tools and the thread look really like 10 x 1.0, like on all the other x1/9 brake hoses holes.

So is it just because these NOS 1300 calipers are new parts that need a little more strenght for the first installation? Before doing something stupid and ruining a set of calipers, i want to be sure if I should applied some torque.

Hi,

Recently, I bought some NOS early Bendix x1/9 front calipers. Then I ordered some new front and read hoses from MWB. Just to remind you my car is in the garage for 19 years, so I assumed the hoses may need renewal.

This afternoon, I was trying to fit the brakes to my car. Then I discovered all my banjo bolts OR the hoses with the male fitting at the end doesn't want to easily engage in the caliper bolt hole of the nos early front calipers. Did some tests, dig in my brake parts box to find some 1300 banjo bolts, but they seems to be all the same. And all parts were matching well my old 1500 cc calipers, including the new rear hoses with the male thread. But there is a lot of resistance after the first 1/4 inch of the banjo bolt is threaded into the nos calipers.

I couldn't find any info about a different size bolts in early calipers. Checked with my tap and die tools and the thread look really like 10 x 1.0, like on all the other x1/9 brake hoses holes.

So is it just because these NOS 1300 calipers are new parts that need a little more strenght for the first installation? Before doing something stupid and ruining a set of calipers, i want to be sure if I should applied some torque.
Hmmmm, It should thread in easy?? Hard to say without feeling it! Wet the threads with brake fluid? chase the threads with a tap?? Good luck!!

Well, this is hard to say if you can't touch it... But let just say a new bolt and a new nut could be bolted together with just finger pressure. Even a used bolt and a used nut could be bolted together with just finger pressure unless there is rust or a cross-thread.

When trying to bolt into the NOS caliper, even a light pressure with an open key is not enough. It's like it need as much pressure as for a nyloc nut, or maybe greater. What I like to know is if that's usual with a new caliper 'cause I played all my wife with used stuff.

Sounds like there is a problem with the threaded holes. Since the bolts are straight-cut threads (relying on sealing washers), there is no reason for increased resistance that would require a wrench to go beyond the first few threads. Not sure you have a choice beyond chasing the threads with a grease-coated tap to catch any swarf. Just running the bolt in doesn't sound like a good idea to me.

Finally found the problem. All my banjo bolt hardware of past X1/9's were 10x1.0 (or 3/8x24). The NOS calipers required 10x1.25. I guess finding banjo bolts in that size will not be difficult. I saw some on MWB site. So I will not have to change anything else.

Edit: I confirm. I will go to bed tonight less stupid. I didn't knew it but ALL x1/9 1300cc calipers are using 10x1.25 banjo bolts while the later 1500 cc calipers banjo bolts are 3/8x24 or approx 10x1.0.

Last edited by a moderator:
Daniel,
good thing you didn't force the bolts in.

But are you saying early X calipers had metric threads and later ones had "american" threads?
I am having trouble believing that.

Back