Removing hood and trunk emblems

Michael Oxman

The Journey Begins!
Here's a question I can't believe I couldn't find in a search here (maybe because it's obvious to everyone else!). How exactly do the hood and trunk emblems come off? I was examining the one on the trunk, and it seems to have some kind of sleeve nut on the mounting pins that I haven't seen before and I'm not sure how to get off. I'll ask about the front hood as well since I'll have to get that off too. Its a1986 Bertone if the mounting may have changed over time.

My Saab just had it glued on. Thanks in advance.

If the Bertone emblems are those originally fitted to the car when manufactured, then there are two small plastic studs that protrude from the black "backing plate" of the emblems and go thru holes in the frunklid and nosecone sheet metal and are secured with IIRC 8mm nuts. Expect to find some sort of sealant residue around the holes.

If they have been replaced with later manufacture emblems, some had the studs as per originally fitted, and some had no studs. In the case of no studs, the emblems would be glued in place by a PO, so expect just about anything...silicone, body schutz, super glue, bubble gum, trim tape, etc. One technique to try is to use a length of dental floss as a flexible saw, working it between the body and the emblem. Dental floss should not mar the paint, but it might be a good idea to put down some masking tape around the emblem just in case.

If you are working in a nonheated area, I'd warm up the emblem with a hair dryer or heat gun 'cause in the cold everything plastic and adhesive becomes less cooperative!

Thanks Dan. those studs are what I was trying to describe. I tried using a long socket to get at them to no avail. Do you have any suggestion? As for the dental floss method, that's how I got off the SAAB emblems! (thanks youtube). Thanks for the reply.

Thanks Dan. those studs are what I was trying to describe. I tried using a long socket to get at them to no avail. Do you have any suggestion? As for the dental floss method, that's how I got off the SAAB emblems! (thanks youtube). Thanks for the reply.

There are only a coupla-three places on the X that use a 7mm nut/capscrew, the little guy in the back of my head says maybe this is one of them---if you tried an 8mm try a 7mm.

If you are turning the nut and it's not coming off, then its probably a combination of them being overtightened and stripped (its only a plastic stud) and the black sealant goop keeping them stuck to the studs. Maybe a small pair of needle nose pliers or vice grips will help you pull and turn at the same time.

Flashlight and mirror will help in the nosecone. Blanket or fender protector on the paintwork!!! :)

I changed the emblems on my '86 (05/85) last year and the plastic studs were threadless and had cheap stamped acorn nuts that were a pain in the posterior to get off. A socket just caused them to spin around without coming off. Realize, these are difficult to get to in the nose cone and trunk lid. I cleaned the goop away to see what I was doing. Then I drilled through the plastic stud enough to weaken it to pull the acorns off. My replacement emblems had plastic studs as well. I cut proper metric threads and used a conventional stainless steel nut and washer to retain the new emblems. The sheet metal is stamped for the smaller Fiat emblem but the Bertone straddles the entire recess. It's a prefect place for water to get trapped and rust through the panel. I used windshield butyl on the back of the emblem around the perimeter and left the holes unsealed in the hope that if any miniscule amount of water did get past it would drain out of the indention.
P_20181210_125455.jpg

Back