Removing the oil pan?

bavaria72

True Classic
I'm trying to remove the oil pan off my '85 Bertone but I can't get it off the oil pump sump. Do I really have to remove the transaxel to get the pan off? I really hope there is a neat trick or something. Thanks - Art

Have you removed the crossmember?

I don't remember for sure, but I think that the crossmember needs to be removed to get the proper manipulation to drop the oil pan. You have to give the pan a funny twist to get it off the oil pump pickup. You definitely do not have to remove the transaxle.

It does come off in about 15 to 20 mins of trying to get it pass the oil pump. The neat thing is it goes on without any trouble at all. I used ultrablack rtv and a thick stock paper gasket when I replaced mine. Not a micro drop of oil showing yet. I also replaced the oem bolts with a combo of stainless bolts, washers and split washers. The biggest PITA was scraping the old gasket off. Don't forget to degrease both surfaces with a good solvent.

Last edited:
I do indeed have the cross member off. I guess I gave up too soon. So just keep twisting it until the pan comes off. Ugh! :mad: Thanks - Art

It's not a brute-strength sort of twisting...

... it's just that oil pump pickup fits through an opening in the baffles, in such a way that the pump will hang up until you get the pan in the right position..

Thanks. I won't strong arm it but I can't promise my language will meet Sunday School standards either! - Art

Back