Repair Manuals

Status
Not open for further replies.

User1

RETIRED Admin, pm OFF
<TABLE cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=6 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD colSpan=2><TABLE width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD style="PADDING-TOP: 4px" vAlign=top colSpan=2>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]Repair Manuals<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

[/FONT][FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]August 29 2000 at 4:17 PM[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial][/FONT][/FONT]</TD><TD vAlign=top align=right>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]<SCRIPT language=Javascript> <!-- var n54_em; n54_em = ""; n54_em = n54_em + "m";n54_em = n54_em + "e";n54_em = n54_em + "d";n54_em = n54_em + "d";n54_em = n54_em + "i";n54_em = n54_em + "n";n54_em = n54_em + "g";n54_em = n54_em + "4";n54_em = n54_em + "9";n54_em = n54_em + "0";n54_em = n54_em + "@";n54_em = n54_em + "a";n54_em = n54_em + "o";n54_em = n54_em + "l";n54_em = n54_em + ".";n54_em = n54_em + "c";n54_em = n54_em + "o";n54_em = n54_em + "m"; document.write("Mike Eddington"); // --> </SCRIPT>Mike Eddington <NOSCRIPT></NOSCRIPT> [/FONT]</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=bottom colSpan=3><HR></TD></TR><TR><TD colSpan=3>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]<!-- google_ad_section_start -->
I just purchased a 1982 X19 and am trying to find a repair manual. Chilton's only goes to 1980 or 81. Is there much differance? Any ideas about this subject would be appreciated. (The speedometer just stopped working, any info on replacing a speedo cable would be helpfull)

Thanks,

ME<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

[/FONT]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE cellPadding=4 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top noWrap align=left>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial] [/FONT]</TD><TD vAlign=top align=right>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]
closeThread.gif
[/FONT]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR><TR><TD>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]Author[/FONT]</TD><TD>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]Reply[/FONT]</TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top noWrap width="17.9%">[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]Doc[/FONT]
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial][/FONT]</TD><TD style="PADDING-LEFT: 15px" vAlign=top><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=1 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD align=left>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]<!-- google_ad_section_start -->Welcome...<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

[/FONT][FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial][/FONT]</TD><TD vAlign=top align=right>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]August 29 2000, 6:43 PM [/FONT]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=1 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD style="PADDING-LEFT: 15px">
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]<!-- google_ad_section_start -->Hi Mike, and welcome to the family
happy.gif

Yes, there is a manual available for the later cars, and I would recommend you get a copy. It's a photocopy of a factory manual. There is also a CD Rom, but it has been out of stock for the 18 months that I've had my Bertone.

For starters, you'll need catalogs-

Vicks Auto Sports in Texas and International Auto in Virginia are my preferred vendors, but I would also get a Bayless catalog- they have stuff the other two don'/t carry, but they are VERY expensive.

Ok, on to the speedo cable-

Not a hard fix at all. You'll need to remove the allen bolts that hold in the instrument cluster, and pull it out (if you have a steering wheel puller, it will make things easier, but you can work around it if you don't have one.

From there, you can easily remove the cable. Then move to the outside of the car. Remove the cowl grille on the drivers side (3 phillips head screws) and the little black plastic cover that is in there (2 big phillips screws). Pull the cable through, and push some of the slack down into the hole.

move back in side the car. Pull back the carpet in the footwell next to the gas pedal. then get a flashlight and do a contortionist act to look up under the dash and pull the cable through. Push the end through the hole near the gas pedal.

You can the rear under the car and pull out that end of the cable. Unhook from any hangers that are holding it up.

Then open the engine compartment and unscrew the other end of the cable. It runs directly into the tranny, and is down low and right against the wall that seperates the engine compartment from the trunk. You may have a bit of trouble finding it as the end is typically covered in grease.

To install the new one, simply follow these directions in reverse.

One other thing - if the cable is original, it is likely the two piece type - replace it with the one piece type... it's easier to deal with.

Other things to check (refer to the archives for more) - the timing belt (not a fun fix the first time, but not really all that hard). Electrical connections - the grounds are crap - be sure to check them... they look like little silver crowns and have spade terminals connected to them. Oh, and you must get Bosch +4 spark plugs (sorry - its an inside joke around here - I'm a huge fan of them, but not everyone agrees).

Ok gang, your turn to welcome Mike (and did I miss anything?)

Oh, Mike, where are you located? most of the folks are on the west coast, but there are a few east coasters as well (I'm in Albany, NY and so is Kyle).

again, welcome aboard,

Doc<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

[/FONT]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=4 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top align=left>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial] [/FONT]</TD><TD vAlign=top noWrap align=right>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]
closeThread.gif
[/FONT]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top noWrap width="17.9%">[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]<SCRIPT language=Javascript> <!-- var n54_em; n54_em = ""; n54_em = n54_em + "t";n54_em = n54_em + "r";n54_em = n54_em + "e";n54_em = n54_em + "b";n54_em = n54_em + "o";n54_em = n54_em + "r";n54_em = n54_em + "@";n54_em = n54_em + "i";n54_em = n54_em + "c";n54_em = n54_em + "o";n54_em = n54_em + "n";n54_em = n54_em + "n";n54_em = n54_em + ".";n54_em = n54_em + "n";n54_em = n54_em + "e";n54_em = n54_em + "t"; document.write("Bob Cattera"); // --> </SCRIPT>Bob Cattera <NOSCRIPT></NOSCRIPT>[/FONT]
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial][/FONT]</TD><TD style="PADDING-LEFT: 15px" vAlign=top><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=1 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD align=left>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]<!-- google_ad_section_start -->Repair Manuals<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

[/FONT][FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial][/FONT]</TD><TD vAlign=top align=right>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]September 1 2000, 7:18 AM [/FONT]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=1 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD style="PADDING-LEFT: 15px">
[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]<!-- google_ad_section_start -->Schiff European Auto Literature, Inc. in Cranston, RI has repair manuals that are not photo copies. I had bought one of the photo copied manuals and the pictures in it were so bad you could not see what they were. Schiff's manuals are scans from an original manual and the pictures are clear. They will send you a page or two to see the quality they are a little expensive but I consider it worth every penny for readability.
Their web address is www.schiffeuropean.com.
Good luck

Bob Cattera
'81 X1/9 (The Torino Taxi)
New Haven, CT<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

[/FONT]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=4 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top align=left>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial] [/FONT]</TD><TD vAlign=top noWrap align=right>[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Verdana, Tahoma, Arial]
closeThread.gif
[/FONT]</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back