repairing cracked exhaust header.

Rod Midkiff

True Classic
I sent some pictures to a welder and He advised tossing it. Can't be welded and have it hold up.
IMG_1143[1].JPG
IMG_1141[1].JPG
IMG_1144[1].JPG

Not what I wanted to hear. Thinking about taking it to him in person and looking directly at it. What are peoples thoughts?

Crack happened because the bolts fell out and the manifold was rattling around. Could see it flexing at the crack before disassembly.

My guess is your welder doesn't want to fool with it. There is no reason that couldn't be welded. I would sand/bead blast the rust off and weld it up. Should be fine.

That or have a good exhaust shop remove and replace the upper part of the tube with a short piece to rejoin the existing in a less stressful zone where the tube is straight.

remove and replace the upper part of the tube with a short piece
Especially if there is any rust/corrosion/rot in that area. Welding to rust doesn't work well, which might by why the welder thought it wasn't repairable (if he suspected it is rusted like most headers become).

Weld it, worst case it'll crack again. If you're headed up my way I'll weld it for you.

I sent some pictures to a welder and He advised tossing it. Can't be welded and have it hold up.View attachment 10209 View attachment 10210 View attachment 10211

Not what I wanted to hear. Thinking about taking it to him in person and looking directly at it. What are peoples thoughts?

Crack happened because the bolts fell out and the manifold was rattling around. Could see it flexing at the crack before disassembly.
Part of your repair should be to make sure the muffler/catalyst are properly supported out back so there is no stress on the header at the head interface.

Hey Rod, if this still needs to be welded you could bring it up when you come to get those tron wheels we talked about at the gathering at Brett's

here are three pictures were taken in the dark (took 4) 4th was too blurry.

looks like it is holding up well.

I did well support the exhaust, I think the original problem was the bolts got loose and fell out, I then replaced the bolts but did not replace the gasket, and it just came lose again, (and the exhaust was not well supported before).

IMG_3107.JPG
IMG_3108.JPG
IMG_3109.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_3110.JPG
    IMG_3110.JPG
    129.7 KB · Views: 44
Back