replace rear axle flexible joint

autogeezer75

Low Mileage
If I take a steel bar and drill two holes in it that align with two of the bolt holes on the outside of the axle and a center hole to attach a slide hammer to pull on the whole mess, is there anything else I have to remove besides the backing plate? Should the axle come out of the flexible joint so that the joint can be replaced?

If I take a steel bar and drill two holes in it that align with two of the bolt holes on the outside of the axle and a center hole to attach a slide hammer to pull on the whole mess, is there anything else I have to remove besides the backing plate? Should the axle come out of the flexible joint so that the joint can be replaced?
Factory
IMG_4382.jpegIMG_4383.jpegIMG_4384.jpeg
Haynes
IMG_4386.jpegIMG_4385.jpegIMG_4387.jpeg

IMG_4381.jpeg

Thanks Karl. I'll try this explanation on my '71 850 spider. Seems like the splines in the joint are stripped.
Are the joint’s splines stripped or are the axle transition piece‘s splines stripped? Usually they are the thing which strips out.

If the joint was stripped I would expect it would basically fall off the axle stub.

The ultimate flexible joint replacement.

Wow those are nice. Beefy. Is this what you run on your Sport Coupe?

Bought a Haynes Manual and that helped.

Finally got the flexible joint off - the castellated nut was almost welded on. The flex joint splines are fine. The splines on the outer axel look good. The splines on the inner axel (one into the trans) appear to be worn down. I have another old axel with good splines half way back. The splines toward the flex joint side are smooth, so I assume that won't help me any.

Any idea where I can get a new right side transmission end axel? Does anyone sell these? Other than the 635 Euro replacement set, which I'd love to have but . . .

Duh . . . MidWest Bayless has them. So one is on order. I hope the other side is OK but this was such a bear to get apart, I am going to do this side and see how it performs.

Is there any trick to pulling the axel out of the transmission that is not explained well in the Haynes Manual?

This is the same company. The bloke contacted me on Facebook and he said that these are $170 a pair, presumably USD and postage is $140 to the USA and Europe, presumably the same to Australia. Good for 90hp. Might not be enough for my next engine which should easily have 100 RWHP.

I want to thank everyone for their help. We got it fixed last weekend and it runs fine now. The inner axle spline was smooth as a baby's bottom. I am going to post a new "help me" plea for the windlass passenger side window now.

Back