Replaced brake mc and calipers still no pressure...

Rope42

Daily Driver
I replaced a rusty worn out brake master cylinder and replaced both front seized up brake calipers I do get pressure to the rear brakes but none to the front. My guess is the proportioning valve or am I doing something wrong?

I will check them but the fluid seem to flo freely through them. I probably should just replace them. Thank you for your input.

What rear-engined vehicle is this for? Did you bench bleed the m/c? There could be air trapped in there, any air in the front circuit will make for soft brakes up front.

The brake master cylinder is on a 1973 Fiat sport spider I did not bench prime the master cylinder. What do you suggest thanks for your response

There is no proportioning valve on an 850 so that is out.

I would agree with the hose issue in front. Try disconnecting the front hoses from the calipers and see if you get any flow.

Okay this is coming from a guy that used to work on foreign cars 40 years ago haven't touched many sentence mostly British came across this 73 Fiat sport spider one family owner with 26000 miles on it getting her all cleaned up trying to make it stop thanks for your response I am sure I'm going to have more questions for you guys thanks again

My X resto project did the same thing. New MC, Hoses and Calipers. Back bled straight away. On the front I pumped till my leg was sore. Nothing. I bled the MC. Nothing. I cracked the bleeder screw and waited for gravity to help. Nothing. I pressurised the reservoir and pumped some more. Still nothing.

In the end (and in desperation) I opened the bleeder screw and sucked on the pipe until I could taste brake fluid (yuk). Then 2 or 3 pumps and she bled up no problem at all. And then had a Jack Daniels and Coke to get rid of the taste! You gotta do what you gotta do!

Not sure but I think I'll have the Jack and Coke first and then try that and then maybe another Jack and Coke thanks for the info

Likely collapsed brake hoses.

Failures like this knows zero Nationality bias as EPDM the most common brake hose material fails in much the same way regardless of the Nation from where it originated.

Collapsed brake hoses can also exhibit a one-way valve effect, allowing fluid to flow in one direction only.

Brake hoses are likely one of the most neglected hoses on any motor vehicle. They are a prime safety item, if they fail really bad stuff happens. Yet, they almost never get replaced long after their best-by service cycle. To expect brake hoses or any production OEM hose to last decades is pure folly.... regardless of miles driven.

Passing time rots and degrades all hoses regardless of brand, type or ___. After enough passage of time all hoses needs to be replaced.

Bernice

Okay this is coming from a guy that used to work on foreign cars 40 years ago haven't touched many sentence mostly British came across this 73 Fiat sport spider one family owner with 26000 miles on it getting her all cleaned up trying to make it stop thanks for your response I am sure I'm going to have more questions for you guys thanks again

Got the new brake lines on the front and you all were right. hoses were plugged. Now I have front brakes.... yahooooo thx

Back