Replacement Wiper Motor

Gerzain

So I recently bought an 81 x19 and it's been great but I noticed that the water pools on the left side by the wiper motor. This caused the motor to rust on the inside and I am wondering if there is a better replacement that's waterproof that I could fit in there even if have to do a little wiring for the connection.

I didn't realize that it was rusting and I already bought an OEM replacement and after one day of raining it failed.

Backing up to square one, let's figure out why water is pooling. The wiper motor is mounted high enough so that if it is under water, you would also have water pouring into the car thru the dash side vents if it's a non-A/C car.

There is a large drainage tube in each corner of the scuttle area (the hollow compartment under the base of the windshield that holds the wiper motor and linkage on the drivers side and the brake/clutch reservoirs on the pass side), is that open? It's pretty much a straight section of tubing so you could easily ream it with something flexible.

Agree with Dan, find out why there is so much water in the first place - shouldn't be.

But I'm also a bit concerned why the new wiper motor failed so quickly (in one day?). Even if it got wet it shouldn't die like that, after all, wipers are meant to operate in the rain...right? So all wiper motors are resistant to water fouling under normal conditions. If your new motor was completely submerged (hard to believe the water was THAT deep in there), and it was energized (turned on) maybe a electrical short caused the fuse to blow. But not the motor to fail. So check your fuses first.

To answer the question. I do not know of any truly waterproof wiper motors per se. I vaguely recall someone replaced theirs with one from some other vehicle, but I don't remember any details (actually might even have been for any of the other vehicles I play with and not a Fiat).

Also... the motor is supposed to be wrapped in it's own little tarp - was yours present, and did you transfer it to the new motor?

X19-01023.jpg

So the passenger side does have the drain hole and it took me a bit to find the one on the driver side under the little connector. It was completely blocked with dirt. I cleared it out, hopefully that solves all the issues.

The motor is covered in the little tarp, but since it flooded I guess the water got in it from being partially submerged.

Thanks everyone.

So the passenger side does have the drain hole and it took me a bit to find the one on the driver side under the little connector. It was completely blocked with dirt. I cleared it out, hopefully that solves all the issues.

The motor is covered in the little tarp, but since it flooded I guess the water got in it from being partially submerged.

Thanks everyone.

Excellent!

Now that the front ones are clear, what about the rear ones!

There are two more important drains, one for each of the two engine compartment "pods." The pods are the areas directly beneath the left and right plastic covers that don't raise up when you raise the engine compartment cover (or just simply the engine cover). Left side provides a place for the fuel filler neck to mate up with the fuel tank, and right side provides a place for the ignition system's control box. The drains are at the front of the outboard sheet metal "wall" of the pod area and because of the plastic covers are harder to get to as compared with the fronts. These like to collect leafy tree debris.

Ensure these two are clear for happy motoring :) You don't want the ignition control module submerged because the drain is clogged!

Back