Replacing thermo fan(s)

duderduderini

True Classic
Hi Guys
I want a dual setup for the fans on the radiator. I was wondering what aftermarket fans people have used. I can get plenty of 10 inch fans but i fear they may protrude beyond the limits of the radiator and an 8 inch is too small i surmise.
i was wondering what brands people have used and wether or not they are available in oz.. I could get a second fiat one yes but the newer fans are smaller more powerful and quieter with less current draw by what i figure
Thanks guys
Nick

I believe you can use a 10" single fan....

.....I used a 14", and it only protrudes a little below the rad, but that's the VW mod...

IMG_7303.jpg

IMG_7321.jpg

...anyway, a newer single fan will draw much higher CFM's than any old style motor.

This 7" FFD fan I used for the AC Condensor would probably outpull 2 Fiat fans. They have all sizes, and a lifetime warranty. There is one authorized eBay seller that has good prices.

IMG_7362.jpg

I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss the stock fans...

I could get a second fiat one yes but the newer fans are smaller more powerful and quieter with less current draw by what i figure

I went down this road a few years ago, and when I actually got both fans together for some comparison, the "new technology" fan (a 10 inch generic from Summit) was blown away by the air moving power of the stock fan. I kept the stockers...

I'm not sure how much technology has progressed in the past few years, or if you plan on going high-bux with a Flexalite unit or something. But be sure to compare the air moving power of the new fan against the old. I think you will be surprised.

Pete

I'm sure the stock are adequate - but.... they are very heavy & cumbersome for the volume they pull. Generic fans vary greatly in the CFM rating for any given size, so you really have to look carefully at that.

That said, I have a pair of stock fans (minus connectors) if you really want stockers! :grin:

Welp... I installed a second STOCKER and wired it in...

... parallel with the existing fan... with no increased or additional fusing.

I found the existing fan needed a bit of lube (WD40) and also wired in an override switch so I could manually turn them both on if I wanted to.

They are indeed heavier... but work GREAT and cool down the radiator on those RARE occasions that I need them.

Also... the junk fan cost me 15 bucks from a local wrecker.

Back