Replacing tires

Ok, it was the first day of the Auto cross in Fontana. The changes I have made to my X1/9, have really made a difference. The Perelli tires have a lot of grip, with a very good grip at the limit. Meaning you can feel when the car is starting to break loose but it’s easy to recover not a sudden oversteer or snap . The header and exhaust system also made a much bigger difference than I had thought with the tractability, the engine easily reeves to red lime. My time were 2 sec a lap faster. Now for day two.

Second day at the track, went well. I got my time down to a 39 sec. I started the weekend at a 44 sec.
With my old tires about 2 months ago, with a slightly slower course layout. My best time was a 42 sec.
So I would say the tires and exhaust system upgrades are worth 1 sec or more.

Has anyone ever used 175/60/13 instead of 185/60/13??? Just curious I found a couple sets of the 175s. I'm just wondering what everybody's thoughts are??? I plugged it into the tire calculator it doesn't look like they're that much difference in size

Has anyone ever used 175/60/13 instead of 185/60/13??? Just curious I found a couple sets of the 175s. I'm just wondering what everybody's thoughts are??? I plugged it into the tire calculator it doesn't look like they're that much difference in size
They would be pretty short, exacerbating the already woeful number of revs on the highway.

The wheel gap would make some here faint away…

If you can get 205/60 for the rear, that would preserve the speedo calibration and will give you good handling.

I took a chance and put the same Achilles on my car. (I'm assuming you got the 122's) I think you will be pleasantly surprised at how well these work. I have driven the car in the rain (not hard and not often) and did not experience anything "unusual" with their wet weather performance. I will say however, I have been "really pleased" with their dry weather performance. For the money...you cant beat them. Please keep us posted on your thoughts about these, after you've had a chance to put them through their paces.
I just had a set of the Achilles installed on my 86 X. They replaced a set of Nexen tires that seemed fine. They were 10 years old but practically new. I was going to replace them with the same o es, but the price doubled. The Achilles were cheap and available. I have been pleasantly surprised with the performance. They are smooth and quiet. I know my old tires were old, but I don't remember them being this good. I know they may not be the best, but I can't spend all that money to throw away good tires in 10 years. I'd recommend these to anyone looking for a decent tire for a good price.

if anybody else is looking for a set of 185/60/13s, I finally found a set. of course there's some Chinese brand but they're still better than what was on my car!!! they actually ride and handle really nice.

Ah - I looked at getting Petlas tires - they're Turkish from what I understand. They make tractor tires, but that isn't an issue.

Tires are the most important performance part you can buy for our sports cars. :)

if anybody else is looking for a set of 185/60/13s, I finally found a set. of course there's some Chinese brand but they're still better than what was on my car!!! they actually ride and handle really nice.

I saw those the other day on Ebay. It is great that there are some options available again. Give us an update occasionally to let us know how they are doing for you.

I have a set mounted on the wheels, but not on the car yet. I did notice right away they took fewer stick on weights to balance than the old Sumotomos that came off did.

So far, it appears to me these are a decent alternative to the Federal SS595, which is what I really wanted.

Just noticed that tires-easy.com has Accelera Alpha tires in 185/60/13. They have been out of stock in that size for months. A quick search tells me that Accelera tires are made in Indonesia. I see them offered around the net in various sizes, model names and tread patterns.

Back