Replacing tires

I wish BF goodrich TA radials came in a 195/60...

gold.jpg

Ok, so the date code of the tire predates the change in their dating around the turn of the century.... Though still lots of tread left! :D

Roy

It appears that when folks decided to put their Fiats on blocks for 20 years the last thing they did was put brand new tires on it. The last three or four Fiats I have bought had brand new tires on them....unfortunately they were at least 20 years old. I hated throwing away those tires.

It appears that when folks decided to put their Fiats on blocks for 20 years the last thing they did was put brand new tires on it. The last three or four Fiats I have bought had brand new tires on them....unfortunately they were at least 20 years old. I hated throwing away those tires.
Ha! exactly what I had on mine too. the lug nuts were solidly rusted on and the brakes hopelessly rusted frozen, but the rear tires still had the stickers on them.

My first X project car came with "new" 20 year old 235/50 BFGs. At least I got to keep the wheels....

After 10 years of storage of my x19, I bought another one, just to keep me waiting until the first one will be repaired. I decided to do some autocrossing with my 10 years old Toyo Proxes RA-1. It was a lot of fun. Like... ice racing! The tires were rock hard... 😋 😋

Yeah, guilty as charged. When I parked my X1/9 a decade ago due to a burnt valve I had just installed the new tires the week before. So a couple of weeks ago I tossed basically new tires but not so much due to their age, but because of the flat spots from sitting.

Vulcan also lists 3 185/60-13 tires from Nexen, Yokohama, and Falken; 2 of them cost less than the Vredsteins.
My first tire purchase was Nexen 185/60/13. They were fine in the rain, and in the dry were fine up to the level I pushed them. Recently spent off and on for 2 weeks and couldn't find ANY tires that size. The only ones I could find were Achillies 185/60/13, which I ignored because of the name. Finally gave up and ordered them. 3 days later read an article that Achillies is wanting to climb to the top of the tire game, with cutting edge tech and tire compounds. Don't know if the tires I bought have any 'new' tech designed in them, but I felt better. LOL Wouldn't use anything less than 5.5 inch wide rims. Stock late model Fiat X1/9/Bertone wheels and Yugo alloy wheels are 5.5. I have CMS alloys. I have no rain or hard dry use on them yet. They look OK, except I think the tread is too deep, but rain shouldn't be a problem. That's #1 importance to me.

My first tire purchase was Nexen 185/60/13. They were fine in the rain, and in the dry were fine up to the level I pushed them. Recently spent off and on for 2 weeks and couldn't find ANY tires that size. The only ones I could find were Achillies 185/60/13, which I ignored because of the name. Finally gave up and ordered them. 3 days later read an article that Achillies is wanting to climb to the top of the tire game, with cutting edge tech and tire compounds. Don't know if the tires I bought have any 'new' tech designed in them, but I felt better. LOL Wouldn't use anything less than 5.5 inch wide rims. Stock late model Fiat X1/9/Bertone wheels and Yugo alloy wheels are 5.5. I have CMS alloys. I have no rain or hard dry use on them yet. They look OK, except I think the tread is too deep, but rain shouldn't be a problem. That's #1 importance to me.
I took a chance and put the same Achilles on my car. (I'm assuming you got the 122's) I think you will be pleasantly surprised at how well these work. I have driven the car in the rain (not hard and not often) and did not experience anything "unusual" with their wet weather performance. I will say however, I have been "really pleased" with their dry weather performance. For the money...you cant beat them. Please keep us posted on your thoughts about these, after you've had a chance to put them through their paces.

The only ones I could find were Achillies 185/60/13

I has a set of the Achilles 185/60/13 on my 124 Special and they were fine all season tires. There was nothing "performance" about them, but it was the size I wanted and I had no intention of pushing the 124 hard into corners. :) I have mounted several sets of tires and these were the easiest I had encountered. Once on the rim, they required very little weight to balance.

Achilles_for_124_4.JPG

Another tire option is 175/70-13. I picked up a set of General Altimax - just like the old commercial - "Sooner or later, you'll own General." I drove them around town, on the freeway, tours, autocrosses and driver's schools. Overall, I was pretty happy with them. They're a bit noisy when pushed but allow you to throttle steer your X very easily.

They were pretty good for the first 4 years. At about year 5, they started to get a little greasy when pushed, but for $81 per tire, I don't mind "only" getting 4 years of life out of them.
Driver-school-2018.jpg

Yeah, guilty as charged. When I parked my X1/9 a decade ago due to a burnt valve I had just installed the new tires the week before. So a couple of weeks ago I tossed basically new tires but not so much due to their age, but because of the flat spots from sitting.
A few years ago, I happened to get offered a set of like-new CMS 13in 5.5W rims with Yokohamas that looked near new, $600. My BIG FAIL was not checking the build date. Why I don't know, guess I was excited to have the Yokos and the same brand rims I already have, which I like. Am sure you know the direction this goes, NEVER EVER use tires on your car that are OUTDATED BUILD DATES, no matter how good they look. Lucky me, I didn't have to pay a price of blood and tears. I lost a section about 6 ins. long, right down to the carcass of the Right rear. The noise was heart attack threatening and instant loud recurring thump noises. Handling was spooky for a moment but wasn't going real fast. I was in town, so I could get off and drive slowly home. I took off all 4 wheels, reinstalled my other set, and later threw away the Yoko tires.

I just purchased a set of Pirelli tires 175/70 13. For my X1/9. I have been checking with Lucas tires frequently.
But they have been out of stock. So I checked with Longstone in England. They had just received a shipment.
In 5 days I had them on my doorstep. They came by air, and USPS.

I just purchased a set of Pirelli tires 175/70 13. For my X1/9. I have been checking with Lucas tires frequently.
But they have been out of stock. So I checked with Longstone in England. They had just received a shipment.
that's great, I have never had tires shipped internationally before. There's an ebay selling with Toyos... maybe it is worth the risk? I'll look at Longstone, thanks. I really want the 185/60R13 size. There don't seem to be ANY in the US right now.

Yep, that's Longstone. Amazing their service.

Back