REQUIRED EQUIPMENT

jasco

True Classic
I have noticed a glaring oversight in both the forums and the Wiki regarding required equipment for driving our beloved Xes.
Don't leave home without them

0520000622.jpg

Hmmm... some thoughts

Shoes, yes ? I don't get it ... ?

My first thought, the pedals can be uncomfortable in bare feet. Then I am thinking "What would make Jasco post such a cryptic message?"

Second thought: When you beloved X decides it has had enough... and you are miles from home... shoes would be nice.

Maybe that is the thinking behind this post. :)

I'm sorry for the confusion. I did enjoy having my label judged as "cryptic":) That was a feeble attempt at humor. I meant the shoes were for walking since my beloved FIAT has now stranded me twice. Once 2 miles from home ( I just walked) and once 25 miles from home. (had wife pick me up) in the last two weeks. I was ultimately to blame, though. If I hadn't lost my ignition key I wouldn't be having these problems:dead:

When I saw the shoes... I thought the next foto...

... would be of a pair of some exotic Italian Racing Shoes... usually about $100 - $500 a pair.

And BTW... I could really use them... as my Size 12s get tangled even in my wife's Pilot, much less the Fiat!

No apology necessary

I'm sorry for the confusion. I did enjoy having my label judged as "cryptic":) That was a feeble attempt at humor. I meant the shoes were for walking since my beloved FIAT has now stranded me twice. Once 2 miles from home ( I just walked) and once 25 miles from home. (had wife pick me up) in the last two weeks. I was ultimately to blame, though. If I hadn't lost my ignition key I wouldn't be having these problems:dead:

I think we all figured it out, it was a good early morning post to get us thinking. :)

Sorry you are still having issues with your X. I recently signed up for AAA since I now have two teenage drivers out on the roads in addition to my Xs.

A wise man once said: "When traveling in a Fiat the two most important things to have along on your journey are the title and airfare."

I guess bus fare or cab fare would be more appropriate for around town. :)

seriously, what you should have

For those of us who have some mechanical knowledge of the cars:

a couple screwdrivers, flatheat and philips
a small socket wrench set (cheap bin at most parts stores)
a bunch of fuses
a cell phone
AAA or some sort of roadside assistance (my insurance gives me that)
a can of fix-a-flat (for those of us who removed the spare for a subwoofer)

When I was in Seattle, I happened to work next door to a euro car mechanic, and when my ground strap came loose, or one of the many times my Alt bracket broke, they would let me borrow the tools I did not bring with me, but when you really get stranded, nothing beats a cell phone and roadside assistance.

I also started carrying a spare alternator belt, a funnel to fill the coolant if I needed it, a cheap, somewhat light weight floor jack (just in case), mechanics gloves, and a lot of wet naps to clean up.

But now, with my 82, I guess I might be getting old, because I only have fix-a-flat and my cell phone and try not to venture to far out of cell phone coverage, just in case.

I am going out to Farm and Fleet this weekend and getting myself a dedicated little toolbox with just those items. Now I know the real reason for having two trunks! I am giving some thought to the sub in the spare's spot. Glad to see someone else has done it!

Between baseball games

this weekend I am hoping to do some interior work (need to pull the door panels and see why my passenger side window is a little loose), so I will see what I can do about snapping some pics of my install. I did a custom amp rack in place of the top part of the spare tire compartment which sits on top of a single 10" sub. Of course, I am running Sony X-plode stuff...

nope...

the PO had 4" speakers in the door already. I replaced them with Sony speakers, and I still have 2 more speakers to install. My majority of baseball ends Saturday (unless the team I cover actually gets into the state playoffs), so I hope over the next month before I start taking Senior photos, I will be able to tackle my custom door panel project that will either replace the 4" speakers with 5.25 speakers, or I might go ahead and keep the 4" speakers and add the 5.25 speakers to them....

I just need some basic tools and myself

I was with the RAA (its a South Australian version of AAA) and only ever used them once in about 10 years, I've always managed to get home without it.

I will set up a tool kit like I have on my two wheeled beemer, just enough tools to pull the whole thing apart and put it back together.

The solution.

If a Fiat strands you, strand it back. It doesn't leave the driveway, save for "just down the road" trips until the problem is solved.

"Lost ignition Key"

Does this mean the fiat really was not to blame? Forget the tools, just get a hide a key.
My car came with one. Ha. ( as Tony would say)

Bob

Never been stranded in an X... But I called AAA 4 times last year to pick me up in the Scorpion and 3 times for the 850....Whew.. one left...:grin:

AAA

AAA is a great deal with the free tows. I had to use one for an X one time. Just kept overheating and took out on the interstate, that was a long ride back, over 100 miles. That was the last time that car ever stranded me. Ended up replacing coolant pipes underneath with copper, cleared the problem right up.

Back