Reverse gear

gminors

Low Mileage
After a long time I now have a new gearbox in, bigger job then I wanted but its all in and looking tidy.
Problem I have is I have the 4 forward gears but no reverse I have tried re adjusting the linkage but still no reverse.
Any suggestions please?

Fixed it just had to walk away and do another job. Came back made another adjustment and hey presto I had reverse.
Took her out for a quick test drive all is well. Replacement gearbox works well in all gears. I also had a the old cat taken off the exhaust and a straight pipe made connecting to the muffler sound is just right comfortable level for long runs. Get her registered this week an go for longer runs.

What do you know about the gearbox?

After a long time I now have a new gearbox in, bigger job then I wanted but its all in and looking tidy.
Problem I have is I have the 4 forward gears but no reverse I have tried re adjusting the linkage but still no reverse.
Any suggestions please?

Is this a known-working gearbox, a fresh rebuild, or used?
Can you select reverse gear from the cockpit (push down, then right and back)?
How about if you disconnect the linkage at the transmission/lollipop?
With the linkage disconnected, can you put it in reverse using a vise-grips on the selector shaft at the tranny?

If you can select reverse gear, but nothing happens (that is, the problem is in the gearbox), then chances are that whoever last tore the gearbox down installed the 1/2 slider upside-down... easy to do because it upside-down on a four-speed is right-side-up for the five-speed. The good news is that the pulling and replacing the gearbox is a LOT easier the second time...:sigh:

If you cannot select reverse at all, and the problem isn't in the linkage or shifter, then you should ask Steve Hoelscher if there's an alternative to pulling the gearbox - he once recommended the right magic spells to be applied after removing just the end cover of the tranny.

Back