Road Ready Lubricating

DuaneEstill

Banned User
The 79 has been off the road for 6 months and I keep just hitting every available place with spray lubricant.

What places do you guys normally hit with and with what after your X has been off the road for a while?

What's up with you people?

Second time recently I've had zero response to questions......it's getting worse that one can't get help around here.

Hi there.

My immediate question would be were is it parked? If it's inside, don't see much needed. If it's outside, is it parked on a sealed surface, or on a porous one where moisture can rise?

Can't offer much advise on long-term storage, I've never done it myself.
Disconnect the battery is about it. Spraying the bushings, etc sounds practical, but not sure you need to keep doing that, since the car isn't moving. I'd be thinking more about all the things you'll need to do when you return it to service, fluid changes, etc...

Thanks!

I'm replacing twin 40's with a single Euro 34. It was running as recently as 6 months ago, but this time I'm taking it back to daily driving. While the carbs are out I'm wrapping the headers, repainting heat shield, replacing most hoses, plug wires, distributor rotor and cap, etc.

I'm just not the brightest when it comes to those subtle and out of the way places to spray/lubricate.

We're here to help...

But you gotta give us a chance. Some of us have work and family life that occurs outside of the web bubble.

If it moves and is metal, use oil spray, or just a drop on the joint. If it moves and is plastic, use silcone or white lithium grease spray. If it moves and is rubber, use dry talc spray or white lithium grease spray.

Unfinished steel or iron will rust unless coated with WD40 or similar. Aluminum surfaces will also corrode.

If you park it outside and moisture is an issue, you can keep damp at bay with a 100w bulb in a safety-cage work light (the heat will keep things dry unless you have a very bad leak) or use a dryer media like Dri-Z-Air. Just remember to empty the liquid regularly and be careful, it's not water anymore once it has reacted with the drier media, it's corrosive.

Ventilation is a good idea; when I haven't driven my car in a while I open it up and let it air out. Helps prevent the musty smell.

:bla:

Ah yes....

Pardon the impetuousness.

I'm going to go with that general principle Greg, thanks.

I'm getting concerned about bushings and other rubber/metal areas so I will go with the lithium spray for those.

I'm also going to be installing the Bigfoot strut things from Mark. I'm interested to see if there is a noticeable difference with those. They will be used with lowered spring KYB shocks and an Addco in the front. I'm also thinking about an MR2 cross member stabilizer in the back.

Back