Roof painting

Phil_UK

in rust we trust
Hello,

This has probably been asked a million times before, but I would like some advice for painting the targa roof. Its a late one, with the black textured finish. If I give it to the body shop to get on with it, how are they going to deal with removing the old paint - i.e. won't most of the texture come off too! Will I end up with a mostly smooth roof with some bumps here and there that will look like paint faults?
I believe the early targa roofs where covered in a similar vinyl material that adorned some 70's saloon cars, I guess this could be an option if the paint side of things doesnt work.

Been there and done that

My roof was multi shades of black. Therefore I had it repainted. They sanded the texture out and painted it a glossy black. Looked great for a few weeks until I put it in the front trunk a little wrong. The trunk lid rubbed the paint and left marks. Now all I see are the marks.

I would not have had it painted if I could start over.

Scotchbrite....

...and solvent scrub to prep for paint adhesion.
PrepSol first to remove wax/silicones/etc.
Lacquer thinner if needed to remove rattle can paint.
Once more with PrepSol.
Seal with PPG DP90 if substrate is questionable.
Top coat with catalyzed 2 pack.
Add flattening agent.

Scotchbrite, yes....

I agree with the Scotchbrite pad. They are perfect for that application.

However, the above proceedure I am sure works great but, here is what I did.

Wipe the top with wax and grease remover. Work entire surface with Scotchbrite pad and a light spray of Greased Lightening. Rince thorughly with water. Spray with Rustoleum Satin Black. It looks better than OEM and sticks like glue.

Steve,

Great advice! It sounds like this might not be a bad proceedure for the engine lid as well, yes?

John O.

Welp... I'm a bit less sophisticated...

A bit of lacquer thinner after light sanding, if any... and then Duplicolor Trim Black. It'll last a good year or two and then I hit it again for another fresh look.

Nothing looks better though, in MY humble opinion, than a roof in BODY color. BUT... nothing is harder to CARE FOR than a roof in body color!

HA!

Doing a roof in body color will require sanding down the pebble finish and then probably a light coat of Bondo to fill any (many?) imperfections. Then prime and spray... just like any other body part.

As far a engine covers go, same story, same preferences!

Thank you for all your helpful replies. Getting some Scotchbrite pads sounds like a good plan.

I don't think going body colour is a good idea - my car is Mica Blue which is difficult to match, probably even more so since new paint has to be the water based type these days.

Tony - I think the low care option sounds good - mine has managed to pick up some long - but not deep scratches, I don't want to have to worry much about stowing it - the roof will never come off in that case!:)

Steve,

Great advice! It sounds like this might not be a bad proceedure for the engine lid as well, yes?

I have painted the plastic bumper cladding the exact same way and using the same paint. It looks great. I used the same paint on the engine lid but because its metal, I used more traditional methods. Degrease, block sand, hand sand, then wet sand with 400, dry and spray with the same Rustolium Satin Black. Again, works great/looks great.

I painted the roof of my '83X with bed liner in a spray can fron the auto parts store. It's kinda tricky getting the texture even, but it's super durable. I throw keys on it, use it for a storage shelf, ect., not a scratch.

That stuff is great...

I did both boots that way...

fronttrunk.jpg

Back