RX7 for my kid

They are in...

my top 5 'want one' list too. I like your taste in cars!!:woot::woot:

Baby sat a brand new one for my sister-in-law and drove it from San Diego to Santa Barbara to deliver it to her. At the time I thought it was very well done. The brakes and steering really left an impression, but that was 30 years ago and I haven't been in one since, I don't think.

Always liked 'em too. He loves cars (now) and speed games, this, while a sports car, shouldn't be "too much" car. I hope. and if he crashes it I get the engine!

A word of caution.

Many of the parts for the 12a series rotaries are beginning to dry up. If anything happens in the future with the engine, you may have to go directly to a 13b.

Also, all rotaries use oil, part of the combustion process, so make sure he knows to check the oil on a regular basis.

Looks like a great find!

Eric

Yep, thanks, I'm trying to quick cram up on knowledge of rotary issue, overheating is bad for them, low oil, leaks. This is helpful.
He says it has no spark. Looks like worst case: $200 ignition module. Maybe just a coil, who knows. It's still up in the air. He's a great kid and having a car to wrench on along side the old man makes the old man very intrigued. I hope it's decent and mamma doesn't flip out.

Prety interesting...

conversions:woot:

They do a V6 one too. How does a 90 degree V6 balance? Does anyone know? Are they not flat plane cranks? :hmm::hmm:

I saw that on CL and was also tempted. I like that version of that body style. The early ones with the bar bumpers were just off and this version really tied the body forms together with the bumpers and so on.

If you get it I want a ride...

Okay, there's an '80 down in Dorr too. That one sounds better. The '82 needs rubber and isn't running.

conversions:woot:

They do a V6 one too. How does a 90 degree V6 balance? Does anyone know? Are they not flat plane cranks? :hmm::hmm:

Modern 90 degree V6 engines use split rod journals to offset the rods and smooth out the engine. I think the only reason they make 90 degree v6 engines at all is because they are usually derived from a V8 that was already in production. Otherwise a 60 degree engine makes more sense for a lot of reasons.

Is there a counter weight...

between the rod journals? Or just an offset? Sorry I have just never come across one of these in the flesh, so it's hard to visualize.:hmm::hmm:
I think you must be right about the derivation from the V8-I know there are some non-American examples of this (maybe even a Ferrari-not sure on that one). Doesn't seem like there would be any reason to not do a 60 deg V6 from scratch-unless maybe there was some induction issue with the narrower valley angle.

Here's a picture of a Chevy 4.3L crankshaft.
Forged_evenfireCrank.jpg

They can be outrageously stout... the HP that the Buick crowd squeezes out of their Turbo V6's is flat insane. I know there are plenty of guys rolling in cars that will runs 11's and 10's with stock blocks and cranks. I've got a friend who has the Buick disease bigtime.

Is this the same as the Chevy...

Matthew pictured or a built to be a V6 engine-I mean is it a 90 deg engine or a 60 deg?
This engine V angle thing always has intrigued me. I have a book somewhere that is about V12 engines and when you start considering the even firing available in a 12 cylinder configuration it's obvious why it was adopted so frequently. You can get even firing at straight 0 deg 60 deg 120 deg or flat 180deg. All have been used and all except 0deg have been done by Ferrari. I think the V6 is the same-but I'm not sure-VW does that narrow angle six at like 17.5 deg.
Do you know about that Matthew, or anyone?

Yeah, the VR6. It's pretty cool but really has more in common with an inline 6 and kinda technically is an inline 6. I've never cared much for V6 engines but really like the inline 6 so to me the VR6 is ideal in many ways. Runs like an inline and fit in the space of an inline 4. They also expanded on the VR6 with the W8, W12 and W16. Of course the whole idea was started by Lancia with the V4 sometime in the 1920's:italia:

Looked it up and...

it says it is a 15 deg angle. Does that matter in terms of the crank design-I mean do adjacent rods share a common crankpin in these?
The design makes a lot of sense to me-just one head right?

Nice 1st car there. Ive always liked those. My moms friend bought one in 79 and threw me the cars . I took it for a nice run. The first version is my favorite. Theres a silver one locally, Ive always thought it would be a nice first cat for one of the boys. Its been sitting for the last seven years that I know of.

Back