RX7 for my kid

Well, we pulled the trigger. Seller is going to deliver too (tonight). Sure hope it works out all right. Seller claims it ran great until it lost spark and he just left it. New struts on the rear and new set of fronts are included, not installed. Rubber is total junk. Rust is very minimal but there is some. Used to have AC but some PO took it out. I have secret plans to tease it back into good shape and when the boy wants to move on, I'll make it Mamma's car (must restore AC for her!) Starting out eerily similar to my X purchase. Nearly exact same condition. That turned out alright.

Got it last night. Not bad. PO claimed spark suddenly disappeared. I redid the ground side of battery as it was "redone' once and not well. Then started looking for spark and found "some". One wire was actually missing it's internal piece that grabs the plug. Replaced with a generic wire laying around. Would now run on starting fluid but immediately die. Fuel pump check began.
Thanks, here's what we figured out. PO has replaced pump. Pump was not coming on. Traced wire into cabin (no small feat, it's a 2x2 and how does one get the "rear seat" out?). I pulled the center console switch plate to find a toggle switch (this is hidden UNDER the OEM switch plate) Toggle is grounded and has a wire coming and going, one wire is HOT and unswitched, the other leads to the fuel pump. So, I turn on the toggle and on comes the pump. Very interesting why it is unswitched and then hidden, I mean, I suppose you could pop the console plate off every time you want to use the car but that's silly. I think I will redo it so the feed is switched and also use an OEM toggle that is in that center console (with all it's feeds clipped off). So pump comes on with key but can be turned off anytime if needed. That's how I've done it on previous cars. Would prefer an inertia trigger or oil pressure or something as a bit of a safe guard but we'll see.
So we went from getting the car yesterday with "no spark" diagnosis from PO to driving it down the road after finding jerry rigged fuel pump issue. $0 so far!
Brakes are next!!!!
This is starting out just like my X. PO was way off the mark and the real fix was "free". Knocking on wood.

All systems now go. Rebuilt one front caliper ($4) flushed entire system, new pads up front ($15). Pedal still felt really really bad and was ordering up master rebuild kit when my searching through RX7 sites revealed these have really odd feeling brake pedals. Nothing happens for first half of pedal travel then it starts to work. Will adjust some of that out and run it a while. Time spent with 16 year old son wrenching is absolutely priceless though. We went out and re-bled everything and went for another test drive. Thought we were still in trouble then tried a full on panic stop, locked 'em right up and stopped on a dime. Maybe that's just the way these brakes feel.

Ok, now the important part...

At least from the mind of a 16 year old. How big of a stereo can you install in there? ;)

No stereo yet.
Rear brakes gone through. Vast improvement in pedal feel and over all braking. Carb started to leak, pulled it and replaced acclerator pump diaphram. All good. Still everything is on the super cheap. Pretty lucky so far. Needs exhaust which is unique to rotary I'm finding out. Something about lots of exhaust pulses and quite hot so standard cheap components don't cut it. Even so he drives it and loves it and it's 100% better shape then when we got it. Lot's of little touch ups and TLC have gone a long way. Could probably flip it right now and make some $$$. He likes it but so many cool cars out there. MR2s are his latest fad. Good kid.

Yep, Rotary exhaust are scorching... I used to have a copy of the old 1997 Mazdamotorsports racing catalog... they actually offer a stainless muffler for rotary engines that was filled with bar-b-que grill style lava rock! I think a rotary will quickly destroy a muffler that has a fiberglass style insulation in it. Needs to be stainless steel packing for sure... the lava rock is advertized as more durable in their catalog.

I think they will only sell their parts to people racing mazda products... but you can always find vendors that race and stock the parts.

http://www.mazdamotorsports.com/wcsstore/B2BDirect/Motorsports/partsprogram.htm

Here is the whole 'book' of a catalog...

http://www.mazdamotorsports.com/pdfs/catalog/97CatComp.pdf

And the intake/exhaust portion separate...

http://www.mazdamotorsports.com/pdfs/catalog/03_Intake_Exhaust.pdf

Back