sale on radiator caps

Chris Obert

autocrosser, X driver
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Please note this is a post by a vendor.[/FONT]

In my ongoing attempts to provide quality parts at a reasonable price, I recently located a guy in Italy that had 3,000 radiator caps. He stated that they were aftermarket units... So I ordered what I guessed would be some of the last radiator caps I would ever buy, 1,000 of the suckers.

What we got are indeed radiator caps. They are marked BEHR, and the instructions stamped into them are in German. There is no identification as to the pressure, which agrees with his statement that the pressure was not marked.
But the quality leaves lots to desire.
I am sure they will work, but I do not feel the quality comes anywhere close to what I would want to sell.

I gave him a Euro each, and paid almost $700.00 to transport them & clear US Customs. Our sale price is at a loss, and possibly (?) your gain?
I can only suggest that you buy a few, as they will need to be replaced often.

And remember that they are sold with ZERO warranty!

Stocked under the part number of 4256229 on our web store... http://www.fiatplus.com/a-m-short-neck-radiator-cap-pr-305035.html

Chris Obert

Don't get offended, but I must ask

Are these knock offs made somewhere in the sweatshops of the orient?

Don't get offended, but I must ask

my respects, I like the way you laid it out.
I might try one.

Last edited:
BEHR caps

For what it's worth, BEHR is one of the largest and most respected makers of cooling, A/C, heating, and other such parts in Germany. They are the OEM supplier for BMW and several other car companies. I've had BEHR rad caps last over 200,000 miles and 20 years and still function properly on my German cars. However, that being said, I cannot make any statements about the ones being offered here. It's possible these are 'knock-offs' of BEHR caps, or maybe a line of inferior caps that BEHR produced for some reason, or maybe they are excellent caps that will outlast any X1/9 but just look different than what we are used to seeing? For those who are considering these, maybe Chris can provide a little more detail of what seems to be inferior about them. Also it would not be difficult to test one with a coolant pressure tester to find the PSI rating, which would be very helpful to know. I am not defending these caps, just saying the company who's name is on them is a good one. So this could be a good deal...??

Hey Chris....

Hey Chris, this is the style of cap that was on my car when you sold it to me right? I just went out there, and it matches the description that you posted, and it looks like the same that I remember working with. If it is the case, then I can say that my personal experience with them, have not been bad. I have had the same cap on for the past four thousand miles and haven't had a single issue with it.

429385_3286657162853_1160390410_33378668_1090513800_n.jpg

No picture?

There will be one, soon... The web store computer only uploads pictures once a week, and if I should post one in my message I am told most of you can't see it.
Believe me, it looks like a radiator cap.
Chris Obert

Are these knock offs made somewhere in the sweatshops of the orient?

My supplier suggested the sweat shops were in Europe... But all he could tell me is it was NOT a product of Italy, and on the importation paperwork he stated it was a product of the EU.
Chris Obert

For what it's worth, BEHR is one of the largest and most respected makers of cooling, A/C, heating, and other such parts in Germany. They are the OEM supplier for BMW and several other car companies. I've had BEHR rad caps last over 200,000 miles and 20 years and still function properly on my German cars. However, that being said, I cannot make any statements about the ones being offered here. It's possible these are 'knock-offs' of BEHR caps, or maybe a line of inferior caps that BEHR produced for some reason, or maybe they are excellent caps that will outlast any X1/9 but just look different than what we are used to seeing? For those who are considering these, maybe Chris can provide a little more detail of what seems to be inferior about them. Also it would not be difficult to test one with a coolant pressure tester to find the PSI rating, which would be very helpful to know. I am not defending these caps, just saying the company who's name is on them is a good one. So this could be a good deal...??

What seems inferior about them? Just about everything, from the way it feels in your hand, to how much material was saved during the construction when compared to the "regular" Italian made unit we offer.
What first get's my attention, after it's lack of weight, is that the center post is not always perpendicular to the cap. But it's easy to straighten & may not affect the cap's performance.

Isn't my qualification that these caps are not to my quality standards & that I am offering them at below cost without a waranty sufficient?
At a buck fifty have me toss a few in your next order and you might find that all of them outlast an Italian quality unit... Or not!

Chris Obert

Hey Chris, this is the style of cap that was on my car when you sold it to me right? I just went out there, and it matches the description that you posted, and it looks like the same that I remember working with. If it is the case, then I can say that my personal experience with them, have not been bad. I have had the same cap on for the past four thousand miles and haven't had a single issue with it.

429385_3286657162853_1160390410_33378668_1090513800_n.jpg

Nathan,
The cap I installed on your car clearly is market 0.5 atmosheres. You can see it on the upper left ear in your picture. You can also see the writing is in 4 languages, not just German.

That cap is our everyday Italian unit. It's a good one.

Chris Obert

Chris's dilemna - The tale of the faucet

YOU NEVER KNOW.

There once was a bathroom sink faucet manufactured in the orient. Made of cheap plastic and chromed plated. All internals were plastic and cheap and light to the feel.

That faucet survived literally thousands of cycles and abuse and was only replaced by a need for a different "look".

That cheap plastic faucet, gathered at a garage sale, was the replacement for (3) very well built and name brand units. Each of those units were spendy and manufactured to the highest tolerance and built with the best of materials. Each eventually failed because of typical wear. Fourty-five year study.

Sometimes things are designed and built with too tight of tolerance for their application. Sometimes superior materials are not required.

Who'd a thought a plactic faucet would GREATLY outperform a well manufactured brass assembly (and) survive fivefold past the typical life of a well manufactured assembly.

The purchase of that faucet was a crapshoot and surprizingly paid off. Still scratch my head over that one :)

lezesig
'72 X 1/18

Back