scca runoffs

If he had a couple more laps some of those higher horsepower cars could have been in trouble. He really brought it near the end. Nice job.

Agreed, the more powerful front drive cars were definitely loosing their tyres at the end. Matt was doing a great job to keep up with the front running pack for the first part of the race...so if the race had of gone full distance a podium finish wasn't out of the question.

Next years run offs at Laguna Seca, which is a much more technical track that will suit the better handling / mid engine RWD configuration will be very interesting. Let's all hope Matt has another good season (on the track and in business) so he can get to the runoffs again next year.

Another year of car development and race craft won't hurt either.

I'll definitely be watching his progress and following all the speedcast.tv broadcasts at every opportunity (as I have for the last couple of years)

SteveC

A huge leap forward

I'll put out a full race report with the ins and outs of the weeks leading up to the Runoffs, and the race event itself, but suffice to say I left the race extremely satisfied, even if we were juked out of our 10th-to-5th advance (in one turn!) due to the black flag field reset, and subsequently shorted three laps in a race where the car and I were clearly getting faster while others were getting slower.

We worked our butts off with some new development on the cylinder head, air intake and exhaust header, and managed to not only increase overall power, but also significantly affected the torque curve above 7,000 RPM.

This was the most powerful motor that we've ever had, and us being able to hang in a straight line drag race against those cars is a real shot in the arm.

Yes, these guys are in serious trouble on the tight twisty tracks.

I could already best several of them at Mid-Ohio with our old motor program.

-M

Great news, Congrats!

I am sure that makes you pretty happy. A close friend raced H-production in the late 60's and had a similar story, he had a better motor than anyone else and some pretty neat tricks on the car development. ( car was Austin Healy Sprite). We will watching for those tighter courses.
Bob

Great last lap!

Good racing Matt! Lots of announcer interest in your Triumph, err, Fiat. Are you planning to do the Runoffs at Laguna Seca next year? It could be a big advantage for the X1/9 versus struggling with Road America's long straights.

Paul

Back